Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have three dogs. I've had trainers in to help, and most of them make the problem worse. Even though we hate doing it we found a water bottle to work the best. The problem is one of my dogs - a chihuahua will bark constantly even when we try to interupt her, there is no stopping her. I know this is a trait of the chi. But, then I have a lab X, and a pug/rat terrier X that once she is barking they ALL bark. Luckily, the lab and terrier are pretty good at listening but they still have their bad times when they decide not to listen but over all they are doing well (they are 1.5 years old approx).

So, any ideas on how to get the chi to stop barking?

Out in the yard it is hard to get any of them stopped. They have really good recall, so I usually call them back to me and go inside. What should I be doing? I'll try almost anything! Please help!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Did the trainers help identify what kind of barking you're dealing with... Alert, Boredom, Excitement, Demand or Scary/spooky barking. That's the first step to solving the problem...understanding the source/cause of the barking.

Alert barking is barking at strangers/movement/'intruders'..alerting the pack leader of a possible problem.
Boredom barking is the barking you typically get from a dog that is chained in the backyard all day...nothing to do..no mental or physical exercise.
Excitement barking is often called play barking.
Demand barking is "I want my food now!" "I need to go out!"
Spooky barking is often in relation to loud noise (fireworks/T-storms).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts