Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix. I've had him for a week and a day now. I've been working on house training him--he doesn't yet know to ask me to go outside, but he'll go 9 out of 10 times when I bring him outside. Now, I hadn't considered bell training, but after seeing the success that a lot of people have had with it, I'm wondering if it's too late to start with him, after a week of training without it?

If I don't do bell training, how else can I teach my puppy to ask me when to go outside to go to the bathroom?

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
I'm not a fan of bell-training. I've bell-trained two dogs and both learned to ring the bell whenever they wanted attention of any sort. (Probably a flaw in the training, but I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than have another bell-trained dog in the house.)

An alternative is to take you dog outside at regular intervals. Dogs who are on a consistent feeding schedule are remarkably regular. I think it's a lot easier to learn a dogs schedule and follow it than to have the dog bark, scratch at the door, do a little dance or ring a bell when she has to go out.

If you insist on doing it, it's certainly not too late. I've taught a 9-year-old dog much more complex behavior and I'm not a good trainer. In fact, a dog much younger than yours probably doesn't have the bodily control to advise you when it's time to go outside.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We did it because the pups "safe" room isn't the room with the front door, so he can't get to the door to ask us to go out... so the bell is next to the baby gate walling off that room. Does he abuse it sometimes? Yes, but it's easy enough to figure out when (like when we're eating dinner and he wants to come beg for food. Nice try, buddy). Alternately, we don't trust him to ring the bell when he needs to go out 100%. We are still the ones responsible for getting him out on a regular schedule. The bell is more to catch the in betweens, which it works well for. We didn't start training him to use it until we had him for a few weeks and he could do a "touch" command. I don't see why 15 wks would be too late.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for both of your replies. I don't think I'm going to bell train him, but I have to figure out another way to help him let me know when he has to go out, if he doesn't start showing signs himself.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm not a fan of bell-training. I've bell-trained two dogs and both learned to ring the bell whenever they wanted attention of any sort. (Probably a flaw in the training, but I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than have another bell-trained dog in the house.)

An alternative is to take you dog outside at regular intervals. Dogs who are on a consistent feeding schedule are remarkably regular. I think it's a lot easier to learn a dogs schedule and follow it than to have the dog bark, scratch at the door, do a little dance or ring a bell when she has to go out.

If you insist on doing it, it's certainly not too late. I've taught a 9-year-old dog much more complex behavior and I'm not a good trainer. In fact, a dog much younger than yours probably doesn't have the bodily control to advise you when it's time to go outside.
This, 100%. My dog is like clockwork. Start with a really, really frequent "out" schedule and then you can slowly decrease the number of trips over time, as your dog gains control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts