Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

TOO Excited!

1373 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  packetsmom
My dog is a boxer pit bull and he is a little over a year. He gets way too excited when visitors come and when I take him around people. What do I do to make him quit this and calm down!? Also he does this thing where he literally is constantly sniffing people... How do I stop that?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
My dog is a boxer pit bull and he is a little over a year. He gets way too excited when visitors come and when I take him around people. What do I do to make him quit this and calm down!? Also he does this thing where he literally is constantly sniffing people... How do I stop that?
With that breed mix, I'd be surprised if he WASN'T excited to see people! :) Instead of worrying about his emotional state when he is around people, how about tackling any nuisance behaviors? What is he DOING when he's around people that bothers you? Jumping? Lunging on leash? Etc.

As far as the sniffing, that's a dog's normal way of getting to know people. If it becomes a nuisance, though, like he's shoving his nose in places it isn't polite, you could teach a "leave it" command, giving him a treat for leaving something alone, in this case, people. You could also give a command like "sit" or "down" so that he has to stop what he's doing to follow the command, and then reward for that.

You can also work on teaching him impulse control through various exercises and then start working on those or other commands when you are still at a distance from the people that he can still focus on you and then slowly decrease that distance over a long period of time.

Part of this, too, can be his age. A lot of pups don't really start to settle down until about 2 years, so hang in there! :)
See less See more
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.