Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How cold is too cold?

I recently have been walking my 7 year old female ACD at night around midnight because it's usually the last thing I do before I got to bed.

Now, my dad argues that the cold temperature is not good for her.

So I am wondering what is a decent temperature for her.

She usually shivers and whines a bit while sitting waiting for me to put her double collar or whatever it is on, and stops shivering while walking completely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure a quick Google search will tell you the breed specifics for cold tolerance. I know my Lab can handle way colder temperatures than I can. She does have a fur coat after all.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I doubt it's too cold to walk your dog when your location says CA.

Currently the temp here is 39 degrees out. I walk my dog in the teens to just above zero if the wind isn't too bad. I just for anything under 25, toss a jacket on him, and he's good to go. If I wouldn't walk him if it was under 30 out, I wouldn't be able to walk him 3 months of the year.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I wish I had a short haired breed sometimes... Zoey's "too-cold-for-a-walk" threshold is set at about -20 F. :rolleyes: Maggie used to be pretty wimpy, but her adult coat is coming in now.. today it's 27 degrees out and windy, and they are both having a blast being out in the yard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
During active retrieving, my pointer used to be fine in calm wind and -20C. During winter, I see all types of dogs and only the little ones or greyhounds wear coats. If you are only walking, even a CD will be ok at the temps you discuss

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be safe to say that, if the dog isn't shivering, she's not cold?

She only shivers while sitting and waiting for me to put the collar on her.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yesterday it was 23 F here and getting colder when we left the house for an 1 1/2 walk. At the end of it, she was all heated up and decided to cool off by jumping in the river. Dogs are crazy.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your low temperature in San Jose California is barely our high temperature here. Two of my dogs are short-coated. We go on walks with no problems at all.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Would it be safe to say that, if the dog isn't shivering, she's not cold?

She only shivers while sitting and waiting for me to put the collar on her.
Those may not be shivers from cold but from being excited. Mine will shake sometimes before I put on their harnesses when we're still in the house.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I agree with the thought that she might be shaking from excitement/anxiety/anticipation. If she's walking with you and not showing any inclination of being uncomfortable, I'd continue with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the thought that she might be shaking from excitement/anxiety/anticipation. If she's walking with you and not showing any inclination of being uncomfortable, I'd continue with it.
The ONLY time she has even shown that, is only recently, when I walked her with my bike. She was looking kind of "I've done something wrong".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts