Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is counter to everything I've learned but it is just too cold outside for my dog (4yr old Welsh Terrier). Tried to take him out 4 times today. We didn't last 5 minutes before he began limping from cold feet. He won't wear booties. For the next day and a half I need him to go on the papers by the door but he won't. He circles, walks on the papers but won't go. I quickly take him out but he takes too long to find his spot. It is currently -14 with 40 below windchill. These are extraordinary conditions i.e. dangerous for man and beast. Any suggestions? Don't want him constipated. he has plenty of water and is being fed normally.
thanks,
Donna

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a thought... I don't really have good advice as I'm in south florida. Why don't you order some doggie booties for him?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am in Pa and it is 7 out with windchill factors making it below zero. I still take him out for a walk down the end of the block with booties/heavy dog coat. Just long enough to get him to poop/pee. that is it. He is use to walking a lot but not in this weather for I think it is dangerous. He is a bichon 5 years old but the booties help quite a bit. He does not like wind at all. If your needs to go bad enough he will go in a short period of time I am sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It gets very cold here on occasion but both of my dogs let me know when they need to go. They do their business and want back in. I didn't train them for that but they know the house isn't for bathroom duties. I did train them to respond to "you wanna go outside?" with word association. Sometimes they do and the other times they just look at me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts