Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I adopted a mix from a shelter almost a month ago, and she has been absolutely amazing. But slowly over the past week or so, she has become very reluctant to be without me.

She gets walked twice a day, 5 days a week in the morning by me, the other two by my mom, and then every evening by my dad. My mom feeds her in the morning and afternoon, and then throughout the day we all play with her. We all do a fairly equal amount of work with her, and we all use positive reinforcement training, so she has never had a bad experience with my mom or my dad. She loves both of them.

Last night when my dad tried to take her for a walk, she completely put on the breaks. Just sat down and would not move, he said she's been kind of reluctant to walk over the past week but would always go, but she did not want to go at all last night. He didn't force her, and took her back home. This morning my mom was going to take her for a run, and once again she put on the breaks. My mom even brought our her favorite squeaky toy, and threw it, but she wouldn't go. My mom got me up to go with them, and she was fine.

I'm homeschooled, and my parents work from home, but I'm at the barn with my horse for most of the day, so my parents are with her more than I am. We want to be able to provide her with the amount of exercise she needs, but I cannot walk her twice a day. To clarify, this just popped up in the past week, and she was great before. I've read alot about dogs becoming too attatched to one person, and they always say to have the other members of the household do more work, but my parents do as much work as I do. They play lots of fetch outside, they feed, they walk, they play inside, they pet. I've started to include my mom in training time so I'm not just training her.

We're trying to nip this in the butt, so if anyone has any suggestions on how she can become less attatched to me, or more comfortable walking without with my parents?

Thanks,
Hailey

*We got her from the shelter as a stray, and she's almost two, so we don't know about her background.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honestly, I grew up with rescue dogs my whole life, and every single one of them preferred a certain family member above the other two, out of my parents and I. Even with my own two, Shelby was always 'my' dog and Duckie was supposed to be my husband's, but instead she latched onto me, which miffed Shelby off and now she's decided my husband is 'hers' and even switched what side of the bed she sleeps on. If we go on vacation without the dogs, she stops eating regular food and has to be tempted to eat special treat foods. It's a pain in the butt.

How long are the walks? How big is she, what breeds? All dogs have different needs, some need a lot more exercise than others and overexercising them can make them not want to go either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The morning walks are usually less than half an hour, and then the evening walks are about an hour. She is about twenty pounds, and we have several breed mix possibilities- Border Collie, Catahoula, Blue Heeler, Terrier, Husky. She's been at two different shelters, and the first shelter said "catahoula, border collie, terrier" and the second said "border collie, blue heeler" and just recently we've had a trainer put some husky in there as well.

I'm fine with her being more attached to me, but I would really love it if my parents could walk her without her being uncomfortable.

Here's a photo of her, she's interesting looking! :)
217927_193646944102311_548310423_n.jpg

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
At a month you're just starting to see her true personality. (At almost 9 months in, Kabota is still surprising me regularly.) This is when odd behaviors and problems tend to pop up with rescues. They get more comfortable and instead of just passively going along with everything, they let their feelings be known.

Maybe it's just too much exercise. She's only 20 lbs. Or maybe something during a walk scared her. Or maybe your father pops her collar or something during walks. (Not being accusatory, a lot of people think that's a good way to train a dog.) Or maybe she's a dog thinking some inscrutable doggy thing we couldn't possibly understand. I wouldn't push the second walk, but I also wouldn't change who walks her. Continue to offer the walk, praise walking in general and see how she does.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey guys,

I adopted a mix from a shelter almost a month ago, and she has been absolutely amazing. But slowly over the past week or so, she has become very reluctant to be without me.

She gets walked twice a day, 5 days a week in the morning by me, the other two by my mom, and then every evening by my dad. My mom feeds her in the morning and afternoon, and then throughout the day we all play with her. We all do a fairly equal amount of work with her, and we all use positive reinforcement training, so she has never had a bad experience with my mom or my dad. She loves both of them.

Last night when my dad tried to take her for a walk, she completely put on the breaks. Just sat down and would not move, he said she's been kind of reluctant to walk over the past week but would always go, but she did not want to go at all last night. He didn't force her, and took her back home. This morning my mom was going to take her for a run, and once again she put on the breaks. My mom even brought our her favorite squeaky toy, and threw it, but she wouldn't go. My mom got me up to go with them, and she was fine.

I'm homeschooled, and my parents work from home, but I'm at the barn with my horse for most of the day, so my parents are with her more than I am. We want to be able to provide her with the amount of exercise she needs, but I cannot walk her twice a day. To clarify, this just popped up in the past week, and she was great before. I've read alot about dogs becoming too attatched to one person, and they always say to have the other members of the household do more work, but my parents do as much work as I do. They play lots of fetch outside, they feed, they walk, they play inside, they pet. I've started to include my mom in training time so I'm not just training her.

We're trying to nip this in the butt, so if anyone has any suggestions on how she can become less attatched to me, or more comfortable walking without with my parents?

Thanks,
Hailey

*We got her from the shelter as a stray, and she's almost two, so we don't know about her background.
Are you kidding me? Butters is my dog and I raised her, and still raise her, but if she could have a choice she will pick my dad over me 100% of the time, and they don't even live together.

*Side note: I think it's really cute you said "nip this in the butt" instead of "nip this in the bud"; is this because this is a doggie forum? Hehe

·
Registered
37 Posts
The morning walks are usually less than half an hour, and then the evening walks are about an hour. She is about twenty pounds, and we have several breed mix possibilities- Border Collie, Catahoula, Blue Heeler, Terrier, Husky. She's been at two different shelters, and the first shelter said "catahoula, border collie, terrier" and the second said "border collie, blue heeler" and just recently we've had a trainer put some husky in there as well.

I'm fine with her being more attached to me, but I would really love it if my parents could walk her without her being uncomfortable.

Here's a photo of her, she's interesting looking! :)
View attachment 36854

Just from the one picture, I'd say blue heeler or Australian Cattle Dog/ACD and Rat Terrier. Those eye patches just scream ACD to me, as does the ticking. She is a cool looking dog.

Having read a little bit just now about ACD's, I guess blue eyes don't run in that breed, so maybe generic farm dog x rat terrier? Both are very popular on farms. I don't see any husky at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your dog is beautiful! I wouldn't worry to much about the attachment as long as there is no separation anxiety involved. Maybe just reduce the length of walks and otherwise keep the schedule the same.
My dogs are very attached to me which confuses my husband since he spoils them more. ;)

Off Topic: I was homeschooled too and used to show my dobie, and other people's dogs as a a junior handler. I also volunteered at a dog training facility and an animal hospital. It was a great way to grow up!
Now I am homeschooling my own and they are very active in various activities as well. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jaxx did this for a while with my boyfriend. He is bonded more to me than to anyone else and if he has his choice he will be by my side but I needed him to go outside with Brock on occasion too. I started having Brock take treats outside with him when he walked Jaxx. So if he decided he wasn't going any farther a treat would entice him to keep walking. We had tried taking toys out too to get him to go after the toy and walk but Jaxx didn't want anything to do with the toys. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts