Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had our little black lab for 3 days. He's now 10 weeks old. We've made a point of being around as much as possible during the day to try and correct accidents but at night he's really struggling. I am came down to 3 wees and 2 poos in the kitchen this morning.

We have the french doors open from the kitchen so he can go in and out of the garden at his choosing during the day. In the evening, around 10pm, I've taken him outside to try and get him to wee and poo before bed. I then lock the doors so he only gets the kitchen at night. I get up at six am to try and let him out before any accidents. This arrangement doesnt appear to be working.

I figure we need to give him more opportunities to go outside at night because I guess he just cant hold it that long. During the day, he does all his poos outside and has only occassionally weed indoors and we've tried to correct him when that happens. Am I right in assuming he needs more night time toilet opportunities? How often should i be getting up inthe night to do this? Or is this the wrong thing to do?
Please help, I'm new at this and clearing up doggie poo is gross!

Thx

Alex

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Nope, you need to be getting up every few hours at night to let him out.

For housebreaking to be quick and correct, you can't really let your dog choose when it wants to go out, you do the choosing. Every 2 to 3 hours at this as is a good time to go out and go potty, even at night. Always have treats ready and when you get poop and pee, be OVERLY happy, give the pup treats and lots and lots of praise. At 10 weeks you'll be lucky if he can hold it for 3 hours. The rule of thumb is about 1 hour for every month old, but it does differ from dog to dog. Also look into crate training your pup so that there are less likely to want to go potty at night. Dogs do not like going potty in their dens, so they will hold their potty longer while in crates (not much longer but it does help a little).

Seems like your dog has too much freedom way to early and needs more potty breaks. Remember just like baby humans, they are just learning their bladder and don't get mad at accidents.
http://www.cygnet-labs.com/Housebreaking.htm
http://www.puppyperfect.com/housebreaking.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
10 weeks old is still pretty young to expect a dog to know not to poop/pee in the house. As for getting up ever 2 to 3 hours - I'll admit, even I wouldn't want to do that. Try not giving him so much water past 7 or 8pm. Take him on a final walk just before you go to bed. When you get back to the house, crate him. First thing you have to do though in the morning is walk him. This will take some discipline on your part, but is well worth it. It provides a structure, which he needs to learn early. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant walk him for a couple of days yet as he only had his last lot of vaccinations a few days ago. Quite looking forward to walking him. I will try your advise, and endure some poor sleep patterns for myself : (

Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
"walk him" is sort of a generic phrase meaning "take him out" not necessarily meaning take a journey out of the yard on a leash. In this case they just mean take him out to go potty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"walk him" is sort of a generic phrase meaning "take him out" not necessarily meaning take a journey out of the yard on a leash. In this case they just mean take him out to go potty.
My mistake - I should've specified. Yes; walk = go until he poops/pees. Unless you're seeing that he needs the exercise - but then again, he's a puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah I see ('walk').

He also sleeps alot during the day. Probably about 60% of the time he is lying down / asleep. Is this our fault? Is he understimulated? Sometimes he is really engaged and excitable but like I say, he spends most of the time chilling. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nah, no cause for alarm... puppies play HARD, and sleep HARDER... right now my 14 week old pup is asleep at my feet after a rousing morning of tug, fetch, a little training thrown in, and just general zooming around. (Finally tired her little butt out). She'll sleep most of the afternoon now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts