Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle is about 4.5 months old and she is slowly getting the hang of oing to the toilet outside. It has taken A LOT of perseverance but we are getting there. Our problem is predominantly at night. She always has a poo. I take her out at 22.00/22.30 and regardless of whether or not she has done a poo then, at 7.30 when I get up there is another one on the floor. She is also still peeing on the floor at night but I understand that she is still not old enough to control that. Any suggestings what I can do? I feed her at 7.30, 13.00 and 19.00. I have tried feeding her dinner earlier and later - nothing works. She is pretty regular during the day. She poos at 10.30ish, 16.00ish and sometimes at 22.00ish... and always at night.

Please no suggestions about crating her at night. I haven't used a crate the whole time I have had her. She lives in the kitchen. I am not going to buy a 100 euro crate now.

Also, is it ok to rake her water away at night? Say 19.00ish, so she doesn't pee at night. Or should she ALWAYS have water?

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

ps. On a different topic. My beagle has only howled twice and barked once. I consider myself lucky as they are not known to be a particularly quiet breed. Does this howling/barking behaviour tend to come on later, like after a year? Or do some dogs just never do it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I've heard that they can only hold it about an hour per month they've been alive, so have you considered getting up in the middle of the night and taking her out one more time? It's not fun, and I've been losing sleep/having interrupted sleep for a month and a half now doing just that, but it keeps me from having a mess on the floor at night.

It may just depend on how long you're sleeping. She might not be able to hold it long, from 22.00 until 7.30. She might only be able to hold it five hours or so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
............. get a crate!

sorry couldn't resist! But seriously, you don't need to buy a crate, but confining her to a smaller area will really decrease the chances of her using the bathroom. Dogs don't like taking a poop near where they sleep, but your dog might not mind at all if it's on the other side of the kitchen. Does there seem to be any pattern or consistency about where she goes in the kitchen? Maybe try confining her to a smaller area for a test to see whether she really can't go all night, or she just doesn't have a problem pooping on the other side of the room.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I suggest setting an alarm for 1/2 way through the night. The dog will get used to the routine pretty quick and as she ages you can set the alarm for later and later. Because of the way our house it set up, I'm never up for more than 5 min at a time. She hobbles out and pees then runs right back in the house. Josie is about 9 months and she started sleeping through the night at about 7 months. So you shouldn't have long to go but it will really help with the training if she isn't going in the house at all, even at night.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'd say set your alarm and take her out once per night. Lots of us have done it! Just make sure it's all about business, no cuddling or cooing or playing. In the long run, it's a smart choice to give up a bit of sleep rather than allowing her to continue peeing and pooping on the floor.
The longer she's allowed to go on the floor, the more likely she is to see it as acceptable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I guess the overwhelming concensus is that I get up in the middle of the night. Not so easy as we live in a fifth floor flat, but if that's what I have to do...
(Ironically, last night she waited until the morning when we went out at 7.15. Lets see what happens tomorrow!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I suggest setting an alarm for 1/2 way through the night. The dog will get used to the routine pretty quick and as she ages you can set the alarm for later and later. Because of the way our house it set up, I'm never up for more than 5 min at a time. She hobbles out and pees then runs right back in the house. Josie is about 9 months and she started sleeping through the night at about 7 months. So you shouldn't have long to go but it will really help with the training if she isn't going in the house at all, even at night.
wow,this puppy is so cute.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Even if you crated, you could find yourself getting up in the middle of the night. My 3 month lab pup will wake me up when he can't wait anymore rather than go in his crate, unless I put him to bed late and wake up very early, he needs a wee hours of the morning potty break.

One thing about the crate- It sounds like you think that you're almost done the puppy phase and it would be a waste of money to buy a crate now. I just wanted to point out that you may find you need one anyways down the road and many, many dogs use them throughout their lives. If you travel with her, you will need one. If you need to transport her home from the vet after a surgery or other serious illness you will need one. If she starts eating or clawing and damaging fixed objects that can't be removed from the kitchen, you will need one. It's almost certain that at some point, you are going to have to buy a crate for this dog. I'd highly recommend trying to find a used one if the new price is too much for you. It's best to have it on hand before you need it, so you don't have to worry about it at the same time as a big vet bill or when you're busy worrying because your pup is sick or injured.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts