Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first day volunteering at our county animal shelter, and boy am I happy! I love it; to help care for the dogs, to play with them, to give them that much needed scratch... its made my day worthwhile!

The first thing that I did was wash and dry 5 Dobie mix puppies... boy, were they fiesty! My friend and I named them all "Bill", except for the one little girl, who is officially named "Billet." :D Its so weird... they all look EXACTLY alike; its like your vision is messed up when you watch them! lol. They're awesome...
My next job was to brush Queenie, a HUGE Great Pyrenese (sp). Poor girl... she's so timid, but she's the nicest dog. She perked up once we went outside though. I had to chop off her feathers because they were SUPER nasty... I might give her a light shave when I go back on saturday, just to lessen the amount of butt hair that gets in her way when she poo's and pee's.
After that I just took the dogs out for a walk and had some play time. There was a lab mix---he about knocked me over from his excitement! Next was a Rottie mix's turn to play. She is SOOOOOOO purty!! she's almost more pretty than a full-blown rottie.. No offense to rottie breeders! I taught her that she has to sit before she can eat, which she learned super fast.
Then the poor Coonhound... she's had a hard life; she's skinny, her eyes lack fur around their rims, she's got scars all over her, and her tail had been broken... but she's a sweetie! She's super strong, too. It took all I had to get her to come back inside.
Last to play was a mini wire-haired Dachshund; she's absolutely GORGEOUS!! *want* She had free reign of the place since she's so small. :p
There was another dog, an old Goldie mix, but he was taken out by another volunteer, who might actually adopt the old guy. There's only two volunteers including me... but it works.
Before I left I put an elevated bed in with the puppies, and one in with the Pit Bull. She's so sweet... she's the most affectionate dog there, but she just doesn't like other dogs... she's all flea bitten and scarred. :(

Anyways, I feel good! and I hope that the doggies do too. :D I'm gonna start posting them on Petfinder here soon; I just have to take pics of them. Yay for good deeds!!
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY74.html

·
Banned
749 Posts
I never did volunteer at an animal shelter but I am thinking that is how I will spend my time when I retire. What I am looking to do now is have Lola certified as a therapy dog. This past holiday season I spent at home with Lola and Mugsy. Seems my family was scattering in 50 million different directions this year. I usually have spent past holidays with them as we have all gotten together in the past. Next year if Lola is certified by then we will spend it at the local hospital cheering up the children. In the end I think that will be more rewarding than spending the time with family.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old dog Lola (RIP) would've been a GREAT therapy dog. I was planning to get her certified so that when I was old enough to drive, we could go make old people happy. But my neighbor hit her in our driveway, so... now I'm a HUGE supporter of shelter dogs! :D (all of my dogs are/were from shelters)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts