Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since receiving Toby, I have always clipped his nails. From 11 weeks on I was clipping his nails about once a week trying to get the quick to back up so I could keep his nails shorter (I did not cut him a single time).
When we took Toby in to be neutered at 6 months old, the vet clipped his nails down SUPER short. Every single nail had the quick cut and each nail was literally half a cm in length. Because of how short they were, I had to allow them to grow out and heal.

The very first time I went to clip Tobys nails again after his vet visit, he jumped just as I clipped and unfortunately forced his nail forward and I got a bit of the quick, he yelped, took off running and bled everywhere. We caught him, wrapped him in a towel, and applied pressure to his claw. The bleeding quickly stopped and he was soon calm enough to let go.

I have probably mentioned this in the past, but I am really hoping to be a groomer in the future, and nail clipping is so basic... especially when you can see the quick (his nails are white). I've never had so much trouble getting an animal to calm down for this... even my cats (who aren't clipped regularily) don't make such a fuss about it. But Toby is absolutely terrified now. If I am so much as near the clippers, and I touch his paw he jumps back and puts my hand in his mouth and moves it because he is very uncomfortable.

I have tried all my tricks. I've allowed him to have the clippers right in front of him while I gently massage his paws and get him used to his feet being touched, and then attempt to clip once he's calm.
We've tried leashing him so he can't go anywhere.
We've tried using peanut butter to reward him while he gets his nails trimmed (he is BIG on food and love love LOVES peanut butter).
We've tried simply placing the clippers in place and not even clipping, just alternating which nail is in the hoop... that makes him uncomfortable too though and he gets very skittish about it.

I would prefer to continue clipping his nails at home... but how do I get him to see that I'm not trying to hurt him and that he'll be okay... I've even taken the clippers to my own nails right in front of him and clipped my nails and he even gets concerned when I do that and has to check me to make sure I'm okay.

I feel like this was caused by the vet clipping his nails so short... or maybe it was caused by me when he jumped... but it had to have been 1 of the 2 unfortunate scenarios :( What do I do?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
What about using a Dremel? Minimal chance of hitting the quick, no chance of yanking on the nail if the dog pulls away. Some noise and vibration for the dog to be desensitized to, but it's different to the dog than clippers. I don't know a lot of groomers (short haired dog) but all the ones I've encountered use a Dremel.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
The Dremel is a tool, you can buy one on Amazon or at Home Depot, Lowes or similar home improvement stores. I have the Dremel Mini-Mite which is cordless and has two speeds, I use the lower speed for the dogs' nails. There are corded Dremels, I've never used one to compare it to the mini-mite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts