Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a post from a member named rooney expressing the same problem that I am having with Toby, except Toby is no puppy.

He's a year old. I walk him every hour (from anywhere to 10-30) minutes each time. I walk him this much because I don't have a backyard, and he's a terrier, so I know he needs the exercise and constant stimulation.

But in between those walks, he stares at me, barks at me, and even pounces on me (after he sees I'm ignoring his staring at me). I get no time to myself for trying to entertain him. And a lot of times, I need time to myself - to find a new job, to enjoy hobbies, etc. He's got bones, but he becomes uninterested in them once he can't go any further into the center of the bone to get the stuffing. So I put the liver-flavored Kong stuff in it or on it, but that can be licked off in a matter of seconds... We have bought every kind of toy under the sun, it seems. But with me not having a job, it's hard to keep that up. Right now, I don't have many toys except for bones that he is no longer interested in. But I don't understand why he is not resting after I just walked him for over 20 minutes. Right now, he's standing and staring at me and barking.

Sometimes, he gives up and sleeps. But that's for about five minutes then he's right back to staring and barking at me.

Any ideas as to what I can do to further entertain him or how I can teach him to entertain himself?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Eddee is a Terrier mix and he is off the wall! Lol! This is why I gave him the name of "Ozzbourne" ... he is like from the land of Ozz! He is a strange cookie! Lol!

He is never still! I too have a bit of a task when it comes to him entertaining himself and not me! Lol! I have found that an empty water or 7UP bottle with the cap and ring removed and label peeled off first is one of the best toys there is to him! I do make sure to keep an eye on him that he does not chew pieces off and swallow them. When it gets too smashed and chewed flat ... he gets a new one. This is the cheapest toy yet. He will entertain himself for a good 30 minutes at a time with it.

Eddee also is a whiz at the Kong. I have to freeze it or it is emptied within minutes.

As for exercise ... in my experience ... these guys need a ton! Way more than 20 minutes. They also need some mind games. You could try hiding his daily portion of kibble around the house and letting him find it. This will mentally wear him out a bit. You could also hide a few treats if you do not care to hide a portion of his daily meal ... especially if it is canned! Lol! That wouldn't do a bit! :)

Also ... even though my Eddee is only 11.6 pounds ... we gently play tug. You could find an old towel and cut into strips and braid it and knot it at the ends ... a cheap toy ... and washable! Just be sure that it doesn't fray and pieces get swallowed.

Just some practical ideas ....... :) Hope it helps a bit.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Eddee does all those things you listed above ... to me ... as if he has no manners. We are working on some training for these things. This is also something to wear him out ... training is good mental stimulation and it will ultimately make him a good citizen in the end. He needs manners! :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I think that by walking him as often as you do, you are reenforcing the idea that you are there for his amusement. Once an *hour*? That pretty much means that if he's annoying enough, for long enough, that he's going to get taken on another walk. Especially if those walks are 10-30 minutes long, and he only has to 'keep up' being obnoxious for 30-50 minutes. IT also means that he expects his next walk pretty much right away, so things like 'sleeping' are a waste of his time - another walk coming up! Also, 10 minutes or even half an hour isn't going to be much of an outlet for energy.

Don't. Seriously. Instead of doing 12 walks a day, consolidate it into two, maybe three (I'm not counting potty trips) and make them count. 2, 2-3 hour long walks are going to burn much more energy than a dozen short ones. Also, I'd imagine that a 10 minute walk would actually just be enough to wind him up and frustrate him. And put those walks on on a schedule.

Expect some misery for a bit with the new schedule, definitely crate train if you haven't. Tugs and balls and things (like games!) in the house will become more appealing if it becomes more apparent that another walk isn't forthcoming. (And seconding the training - mental stimulation is important, too, and it'll keep him busy and amused for a while every day).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your awesome advice!!

I had no idea that I might be reinforcing these bad habits, Cpt Jack! But it makes so much sense to me since you have explained it to me this way. And he does expect his walks hourly! As if he is watching the clock, he gets up when it's been an hour and starts staring and barking at me. I didn't mind so much because, if not for the walks, I'd get no exercise as well.

Other than the walks, I do throw his ball. He'll plop down and chew on the ball (or whatever I'm throwing) after about five minutes of that.

Sometimes, I take him to a park where we walk him the length of the river and back (a total of two miles). He gets pretty tired from that.

Is it okay to walk him for two-three hours in 90+ degree weather? I've worried about that because he's got quite a bit of hair.

I really, really love that idea of two-three hour walks.

Abby, Toby loooooves plastic bottles. Oh my goodness. He chases them frantically and vigorously. It's pretty funny. However, I hate giving them to him because he loves to destroy things. He gets on that task - to destroy - perhaps a minute after we give it to him. Then, we have to take it from him. And then...? Y'know? So I've stopped giving him the plastic bottles to chase around the room. The tug ropes? He tears them up, so we have to take them from him. He only gets into his rawhide bones when he's tired (because when he's tired, he focuses on one thing).

I'd love to hide some kibble around the house, but I just failed miserably at teaching him to stay. I'll try again in a few minutes. He passed out at my feet for the moment, from the walk we just went on.

Again, I cannot thank you both enough for your helpful advice! I thought I was doing the right thing, but you've helped me realize that I'm making myself miserable! I've owned dogs all my life, but I've owned small dogs (poodles, Pekingese/Pomeranian mixes, etc.) I've NEVER had a terrier. So your advice is really helpful!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think that by walking him as often as you do, you are reenforcing the idea that you are there for his amusement. Once an *hour*? That pretty much means that if he's annoying enough, for long enough, that he's going to get taken on another walk. Especially if those walks are 10-30 minutes long, and he only has to 'keep up' being obnoxious for 30-50 minutes. IT also means that he expects his next walk pretty much right away, so things like 'sleeping' are a waste of his time - another walk coming up! Also, 10 minutes or even half an hour isn't going to be much of an outlet for energy.

Don't. Seriously. Instead of doing 12 walks a day, consolidate it into two, maybe three (I'm not counting potty trips) and make them count. 2, 2-3 hour long walks are going to burn much more energy than a dozen short ones. Also, I'd imagine that a 10 minute walk would actually just be enough to wind him up and frustrate him. And put those walks on on a schedule.

Expect some misery for a bit with the new schedule, definitely crate train if you haven't. Tugs and balls and things (like games!) in the house will become more appealing if it becomes more apparent that another walk isn't forthcoming. (And seconding the training - mental stimulation is important, too, and it'll keep him busy and amused for a while every day).
This, exactly. Dogs learn very quickly that if they bug you enough they'll get what they want. Our trainer told us is that 1 walk that is 60 minutes long drains a dog way more than 3 walks that are 20 minutes long, so though you feel like you're doing the right thing, it's really not much of an exercise outlet. Try teaching your dogs complex tricks to work his mind. For example, right now Colby is learning to take a tennis ball to the top of the steps, drop it, wait till it gets to the bottom, get it and do it over again.

Is it okay to walk him for two-three hours in 90+ degree weather? I've worried about that because he's got quite a bit of hair.

I think they mean two or three walks that last for an hour. Not one walk that's three hours long.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Thank you guys for your awesome advice!!

I had no idea that I might be reinforcing these bad habits, Cpt Jack! But it makes so much sense to me since you have explained it to me this way. And he does expect his walks hourly! As if he is watching the clock, he gets up when it's been an hour and starts staring and barking at me. I didn't mind so much because, if not for the walks, I'd get no exercise as well.

Other than the walks, I do throw his ball. He'll plop down and chew on the ball (or whatever I'm throwing) after about five minutes of that.

Sometimes, I take him to a park where we walk him the length of the river and back (a total of two miles). He gets pretty tired from that.

Abby, Toby loooooves plastic bottles. Oh my goodness. He chases them frantically and vigorously. It's pretty funny. However, I hate giving them to him because he loves to destroy things. He gets on that task - to destroy - perhaps a minute after we give it to him. Then, we have to take it from him. And then...? Y'know? So I've stopped giving him the plastic bottles to chase around the room. The tug ropes? He tears them up, so we have to take them from him. He only gets into his rawhide bones when he's tired (because when he's tired, he focuses on one thing).

I'd love to hide some kibble around the house, but I just failed miserably at teaching him to stay. I'll try again in a few minutes. He passed out at my feet for the moment, from the walk we just went on.

Again, I cannot thank you both enough for your helpful advice! I thought I was doing the right thing, but you've helped me realize that I'm making myself miserable! I've owned dogs all my life, but I've owned small dogs (poodles, Pekingese/Pomeranian mixes, etc.) I've NEVER had a terrier. So your advice is really helpful!
You might want to make those two walks early morning/late evening given the weather, but he should be okay - just keep an eye on him, and if you're going too far take one of those collapsible bowls and water.

...Have you thought about tying one of those plastic bottles he loves to a string and using it as a 'flirt bowl'/chase toy? That would turn my rat terrier into a maniac and... it's free ;-)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
You might want to make those two walks early morning/late evening given the weather, but he should be okay - just keep an eye on him, and if you're going too far take one of those collapsible bowls and water.

...Have you thought about tying one of those plastic bottles he loves to a string and using it as a 'flirt bowl'/chase toy? That would turn my rat terrier into a maniac and... it's free ;-)

Hey! Great idea with the plastic bottle!!! I am going to try this too! thanks! :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Hey! Great idea with the plastic bottle!!! I am going to try this too! thanks! :)
I like how I said flirt bowl. POLE.

And AWESOME.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is probably a really stupid question, but what is a flirt bowl? And how do I make it?

Thank you!

EDIT: NEvermind! I see that you meant to say "flirt pole." I Googled it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just took him here: http://ttownphoto.blogspot.com/2008/11/riverwalk.html

It says 3-4 miles, but I think it's shorter than that these days. I wish I knew how long it actually was. But if it's three miles, then that would mean he just walked six miles! He's laid out! YAY!

I was worried about him because he dug into the dirt and laid down in it, I'm sure, to cool down. And he sat and laid down about three times during the walk, although I kept him watered.

I'll have to look into that Buster Cube. The only pet store we have around here is Pet Supplies Plus, and fiance and I STAY in that place. I've never seen the Buster Cube. So, now that I know about it, I can probably order it online.

We bought him this toy that looks like a rolling pin. It has a small slot on the side. If he rolls it around enough, he can wriggle out some treats! He's interested in that for about ten minutes, so... I hope the Buster Cube would entertain him more than that! Let me tell you; he's high-maintenance! haha.

Thank you all again. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You'll figure out his limits. Just google "signs of heat exhaustion in dogs" and keep an eye out.

As for digging in the dirt and laying down in it, Kabota will do that no matter what the weather is. He just likes to dig holes and lay in them. I let him do it the day before a grooming.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The Buster Cube sounds similar to the rolling pin, but you can make it more 'challenging.' Also, you might Google for smart dog toys or genius dog toys... to locate interactive thinking dog toys online.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Here's a google search for dog puzzle toys. Some of them really look neat! You could try a couple of different ones and see what he likes, then buy more like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you!

Those look like some pretty neat toys. I tried to do such a search when we first got Toby last year in October, but I didn't find such cool toys!

I can't wait until payday tomorrow! :p

As tired as he was after that walk, he's back at high-speed right now (and as of probably an hour ago). Haha.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can your dog swim? Is there a spot along the river where you can stand knee deep? If so get him in the water and hold his tail. He will swim and exercise almost every muscle in his body and a 10 minute swim is equal to a 50 minute walk.

Look into crate training and I seriously recommend you initiate this. I keeps the pup out of your hair and you know he is safe and not getting into trouble.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I saw a flirt pole at our local pet store. It had a tennis ball at the end of it, so I didn't get it. (He just tears the fur off). But if he's constantly chasing it, without truly getting it, it should be okay. Plus, I'm sure I can replace the tennis ball with something else.

I'm not sure if he can swim. I'd love to take him to the Riverwalk and find out today, though.

He's crate-trained. I just feel guilty when I put him in there, so I usually don't. If I say "nap time" or "timeout" (when he's been bad), he'll head to the crate. But when I get him in there, and I'm sitting here without him near me, I start to thinking, "Well... it's kinda small in there..." LOL, sad but true... So then, he stays in there for maybe 20 minutes and then I take him out.

I love the flirt pole and the swimming ideas! You guys are awesome. :D

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Out of curiosity ... does he have any play balls without fur that he would like to chase? I have the same issue with tennis balls ... they all chew the fur off. So I bought childrens heavy vinyl play balls which are the proper size that they can not accidentally get caught in their throats. They love them and find it hard to destroy them. I find these at the dollar stores. Most of them are only a dollar. If they are heavy enough vinyl they seem to last forever. :)

The ones with the bones are actual dog toys though .......they are all about 4 years old or more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts