Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we have a fair number of people here who can bring their dog to work with them...which is fantastic if I do say so myself :)

I'm just wondering...what kind of professions/work settings do you guys have that makes this possible?

Any input is very welcome :) Thanks!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I work at home now, but at my last job I was able to bring Corona with me.

It was a small office, only two other ladies worked there and they both liked dogs. It was a fairly quiet facility with not a ton of traffic in and out (although couriers daily) and Corona was obviously house broken.

I was very lucky to get to bring her with me.. but am even more lucky now that I get to stay home with her! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,837 Posts
I took Cubby (aka Dogzilla) to work with me every day for ten years. I had a picture framing business and, because he was an exceedingly agreeable dog, it took about 30 minutes to train him to stay in the work shop. He could watch the comings and goings from the workshop doorway (there was no actual door) but he could not be persuaded to come out into the retail area.

Anyone who wanted to (and most did) could go back and visit with him in the doorway. I had a couple of good customers that had been coming in for years but were always a bit cool and reserved. They warmed up considerably when I started bringing the dog to work.

People would sometimes call ahead of time to make sure he was in before they'd bring their framing in. Some of them probably considered him the brains of the outfit.

Cubby's career as a shop dog came to a crashing halt, literally, one Thursday morning. I knew there were plans to demolish an old parking ramp across the alley from my shop but didn't know exactly when. We were both minding our own business when, without warning, the wrecking ball started it's job.

I think my shop jumped a few inches. Pictures fell off the wall. And my poor dog, not a particularly nervous sort, nearly ran through the plate glass window.

My wife happened to be home. She came and got him and he never had much interest in going to work after that. He also became intensely afraid of thunder and even the over-powered bass speakers in car stereos passing by.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It seems we have a fair number of people here who can bring their dog to work with them...which is fantastic if I do say so myself :)

I'm just wondering...what kind of professions/work settings do you guys have that makes this possible?

Any input is very welcome :) Thanks!
I'm only able to bring my dog to one job, and that's my job as a receptionist at a vet. And that is cause the way teh reception desk is set up I can gate off part of it and keep her in my receptionist area. That and she is very quiet (she will bark if she has a lot of energy and you are about to feed her, and rarer still at the dog park if she has super amounts of energy and even then it will be one or two barks at most. She's a very quiet dog), very good with people, cats, and dogs (which she'd have to be cause I'm not always up there and people will pet her without asking... she will peek over the desk to say hi to people), and most of the time will settle down and stay out of the way when she decides things are boring.

She loves it cause she gets to meet all sorts of people and dogs.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm very fortunate as hubby & I own a doggy boutique/grooming salon. DJ's been going to work with me most days since we bought the business last Sept & he's become such an excellent shop dog.
I took our recently adopted Coco in when we first got her, but it didn't work real well & I'm going to have to slowly familiarize her to being there. I plan on taking her in for an hour or 2 on my days off, slowly increasing the amt of time she's there.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I work in a dog and cat grooming shop. i can bring Blaze if i want, but have only brought him in a handful of times since I was going to groom him. otherwise he stays home. The shop is to busy to keep him out at all times, and he doesnt like being crated. So he seems happier at home, as at work I cant oay much attention to him any way.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I work in an auto repair place. occasionally I bring the bolo monster on a friday when I don't have to run around like a headless chicken trying to get to school on time.

she hangs out on the couch in the back and watches the golf channel with my boss. :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I work at a veterinary hospital working 12 hour overnight shifts. All five of my dogs go to work with me every night that I work.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I work at a pet resort. Well not right now, I'm working at a horse stable for the summer but when I go home I'll be back at the resort.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i work graveyard shift at an assisted living home....we have 6 people that live there but are in bed most of the night (of course)....the dogs get to come w/ me (mainly b/c i insisted) as an added protection.....about 4 yrs ago on New Years Eve we had a guy come in the back door (they aren't generally locked at night as we have a couple smokers that either forget to lock them when they come back in or don't unlock them when they go out [door knobs open from the inside w/out being unlocked] thus locking themselves out and ringing the doorbell over and over)....he came in at 1:45 a.m., dressed completely in black w/ a black trench coat, so quietly that neither Tir (11 mo) nor Lacey (5 yrs) heard him until he saw me on the sofa and said hello....i thought Tir was going to have him by the gonads and singing soprano:D....needless to say, he wasn't expecting dogs and i think he was there for the drugs we have there (probably over 10K if sold on the streets)....his excuse was that he had been a party across the road and they told him that we a were a group home and could tell him how to get to a town 5 miles away...yeah, right.....if it hadn't been for the 2 dogs i'm not sure how things woulda turned out....

so, now they come w/ me all the time and i just tell the owner (who's really nice, anyway) that they insure the place stays safe at night (at least 5 nights a wk)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I work at an elementary school. During the summer those of us who work often bring our dogs since there are no students. I have a private office so it's especially easy for me. Whoever I bring can nap quietly next to my desk while I nap, uhhhh, work. :p
Everyone else here has small dogs like yorkies, chihuahuas, terries, etc. Mine are the only large dogs. Sometimes we'll have a half dozen dogs running through the halls here. I love it! i have a great job. :D

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I currently have two jobs; I train dogs (which was what I went to school for and is my main goal, but am currently not making enough money at it due to the economy slump) and I also work in a computer store as a receptionist/graphic artist and am learning more on the books. I bring one of the boys for the dog training bit sometimes, I give it as an option to clients near the end of the course so they can test their dog around distractions. It's usually Linkin who comes with me then, as he has more impressive obedience :p

I've brought Coal into Max (the comp store) on my days off before when I go in to get printing done or what not, and my boss really loves him. However, I've never brought him in WHILE I'm working. I get away with a LOT there and it's an extremely slack job, and while I've thought about asking if I can bring Coal in, I'm kind of nervous about it because I get away with so much there, I don't really want to push my luck lol

I use to work at the same place before I went to school (when I first got Linkin) and the boss was away for a week and it turned out Linkin was barking and driving my neighbors nuts. I found out at the last minute so I brought him with me to work for a day. Because he was young and untrained it was the most stressful day at work ever lol the next day I arranged for him to go stay with a friend who was running a doggy day care at the time ;)

I really don't think Coal would be a bother, he's very well behaved in stores and any time I've had to bring him to Max for an extended period of time he just laid behind the desk and slept. But like I said, I'm still working up the courage to see if I can bring him in while I'm working!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I am a trainer at PetSmart. If I don't bring Sadie, everyone begs me to bring her the next day. I think since I started I have left her home 2 days.

It's great because we get to spend the whole day together, and she loves showing off her tricks. She demonstrates how proper training can give you a calm, well behaved dog. She also helps with socializing the puppies because she is perfect with the puppies.

Everyone is always excited to meet her and tell me how lucky I am to get to bring her to work :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I work the graveyard shift in a boiler room. I'm probably not allowed to have a dog at work, but nobody has ever actually said that I can't. So I won't tell. I have brought my dog in when I have had him with me, and I would have been late if I had detoured home to drop him off.

In the not too distant future, I intend to get a small terrier that I can carry in and out in a duffle bag. There will be rat-i-cide involved. We rarely see rats in the boiler room, but every so often we have one die inside a wall.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I do medical billing and I work from home about half the time. When I am at the office I do take one of my boys or the patients get mad. On the days that I am not there everyone that comes in asks if the "puppies" are there. Teebone is a certified therapy dog-- so of course he is very good with all types of people. Nothing freaks him out. We have a couple people that come in just to say hi to him.
At holiday time he always gets a lot of presents.
This is an adult internal medicine office. I do have a crate that fits under my desk that he can sleep in when he is not in demand.
I started taking Eli when he was very young to help socialize him and expose him to different situations.
When he went to his puppy class and they had the week that they came in with crutches and wheelchairs, etc to test the puppies he was very calm--because of course-- he had seen it all before! I may have him certified as a therapy dog as well we just haven't gotten around to it yet- he is only a year old.
I have never had a complaint about them being there--the only complaints were on a rare day that I showed up without at least one of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I take my girl Casey to work with me. :D I work in a private home assisting a lady with her daily needs. I always ask first and if I have to take her somewhere, I leave Casey home. I would love to take Ava in but she's still house training and I don't want her to have any accidents. :eek:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I take mine to work sometimes, but I'm the boss. Computer game company. I don't do it regularly because the office is on the 4th floor of an 8 story bank building. I don't need the landlord making a no dogs rule. Employees bring their dogs in now and then as well at those times when they need to for some reason.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We own a pet resort and live on the property so it is just a walk across the driveway. My dogs are always excited to go to work. My Great Dane takes money from clients and puts it in the cash drawar. (fantastic employee..lol)They are involved in pretty much everything. They enjoy playing with other sound dogs, taking dips in the pool, following us around...whatever is on their agenda :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts