Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or, even if not, what do you say?

Tomorrow night we will be getting our 3rd dog. Three is the limit... trust me. We just decided that today. I have told 4 - 5 people, and 2 of them responded along the lines of "what are you, nuts?"

Well, no. One of our dogs is very old and probably won't be around much longer and we are sort of smoothing the way by already having another playmate for our Golden Retriever. Plus we can afford it, have the time and space for another dog, and are going to use this puppy to help our kids learn responsibility.

Plus, my wife is a "nurterer".... she always has to have something to take care of and raise.

I'm already neutered - LOL - so another child is out of the question. ;)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
We have five dogs so um.. yeah.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Meh.

Who gives a Rats keester what anybody else thinks unless they are family, or close friends.

Your two current pooches opinion matters the most in this regard. LOL!!

You know the family dynamic better than anyone else.
If you think it wont be a problem, and are willing and able to make things work, it will work and be rewarding.

Go with what ya know, and ignore the folks that would project thier own weakness, ignorance,and psychosis unto others.

It's a third dog. I know people who have 7 Kids, 8 Horses, several dozen head of cattle and a couple Milk cows, 6 Cats, 3-4 Dogs, and live a good life without electricity. LOL!!

Good luck to you and the new Pup!!!
It should be a Hoot!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah, when I took in my second dog Merlin everyone thought it was funny to ask, "Oh does this mean you're gonna be an animal hoarder now?" Ha...Ha...Ha. Yeah I didn't think it was funny.

One of my friends has 6 dogs, but she and her husband make bank, she adores them, and they're very well taken care of. I don't see the problem. Like you said, as long as you can afford it and you can give the dogs proper care, it's none of their business.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Not at all. I plan on adding a third as soon as my situation allows :)

Some people just don't understand wanting to have dogs around all of the time and will think you're crazy for wanting another. However, I think most of the people on this forum are the kind of people who feel like the room they're sitting in is empty if it's not occupied by a four legged furry thing with a wagging tail :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yes. I had three dogs up until a week or so ago. Our elderly dog went back to my parents (we took him when they were having difficulties with the house) and now he lives back at the same place he lived for 9 years. Now I have two and I am about sick and tired of hearing - "two dogs? Wow how are you going to live in an apartment with two dogs?" Given most of my family and my husbands have never really had inside dogs (his father has a shih tzu they allow in the house) but otherwise my childhood dog was an outside dog and so were my in-laws dogs so having indoor dogs especially without a yard is just crazy apparently. Huh - guess I never got that memo. I guess they didn't either though since they are both asleep right now and not tearing the place apart, running around like mad wild things and barking like crazy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
we started with a cat, then added a puppy...then a kitten. people seem dumbfounded by the fact we have three animals, but why? if you can manage and fulfill them all, and you have enough love to go around, i think all is good. :)

we all make our own choices. don't let anyone get you down!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Eh, try to tell people you are getting a SECOND Pit Bull and watch their heads spin and foam start forming at the mouth.

People just don't get it, so don't worry about it. I'm the crazy dog lady because I have two dogs (and a third one in a year or two from now which will be my limit until Nubs passes away and that's in 10+ years I sure hope!)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i have a total of 5 dogs in my house (my 4-pack of BC's and my OH's house companion, a little mutt)......i have people ALL THE TIME ask me if i'm nutz, just for having the BC's.....my response is "YUP!!!!" "sure am!!!"......when asked about cost of them, i tell them it's not their concern....they're not the ones required to support them and if i couldn't handle it i wouldn't have that many to start (my only problem is we're really only supposed to have 3 where i live)

·
Registered
871 Posts
yes, we got a ridiculous amount of completely usolicited advice when we got a second dog. ANOTHER ONE? is what most people said. Also "you cant just keep collecting dogs". Really? Im like...its only 2. Goodness, my nephew has about 50 animals:) who cares? if they are taken care of, its not anyones business.

People are all the time giving out advice like this, and so I try really hard not to do that with others. People also had a problem when I had my kids. Apparantly, two kids was acceptable, but more than that was just ridiculous. Once I had some random person in a store ask me if I knew what birth control was for. I said yes. But my husband and I think that is for people with ugly children:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
When we added a 2nd, grandparents weren't too happy. They still aren't. Especially since she's GSD mix. They all tell me she'll be dangerous and it doesn't help that she's skittish of them and barks at them. I'm teaching her a lot of tricks so we can impress them later. :)

yes, we got a ridiculous amount of completely usolicited advice when we got a second dog. ANOTHER ONE? is what most people said. Also "you cant just keep collecting dogs". Really? Im like...its only 2. Goodness, my nephew has about 50 animals:) who cares? if they are taken care of, its not anyones business.

People are all the time giving out advice like this, and so I try really hard not to do that with others. People also had a problem when I had my kids. Apparantly, two kids was acceptable, but more than that was just ridiculous. Once I had some random person in a store ask me if I knew what birth control was for. I said yes. But my husband and I think that is for people with ugly children:)
LOL, when my parents added a third child(before then, they had the "prefect" 1 girl 1 boy family) people were just like that. What is their problem, I wonder.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
No problem here. I surround myself with dog-loving people so they see nothing wrong with having many dogs. 4 is my limit. At 4, I felt hmmm, I have a lot of dogs. But I liked it. Three is nothing :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yeah I've learned to not care. My family thinks I'm insane, but they aren't the ones paying for/taking care of the dogs. And if any of my friends care enough about it to let it mess up our friendship, then too bad for them :p

I also plan on eventually breeding and will continue showing, so who knows how many dogs I will end up with one day!!! Though I need a lot of land first LOL!

·
Registered
136 Posts
People who have big mouths & an opinion on everybody else's business drive me nuts!

One lady used to give me crap about my dog-numbers started in on me one day & I asked her, "Well why did you have a second kid?" And I sort of waded in on her like a prize verbal boxer from there & she was pretty eager to end my line of questioning. How many dogs I have is no one's business but my own. I limit the numbers to the amount of time I have to dedicate to the dog's training & wellbeing. Financial resources aren't an issue. I would absolutely drive 1 dog insane because I can spend days in the field training without coming up for air.

Or as my close neighbors say it, "We'll gripe about their dogs when we can get our kids to behave as well as their dogs." I love my neighbors :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Oh yeah, I've gotten that a lot. Not so bad now that I'm down to three, but when we had five, I heard it all the time.

I let it go in one ear, out the other. I like having multiples, and will continue to do so. It's not like I am forcing them on anyone!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts