Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I work with an animal rescue,,and often have dogs over to help with socialization. I have fostered, and adopted a foster, and I have one dog , male neutered Rottie boxer mix, who never fails to try to show his dominance with new visiting dogs. I have been working with a small ( 30 lbs) italian greyhound mix, male , neutered, submissive. He is great with all dogs,,as are my other 2 permanent resident female great Pyrenese mixes( except with each other on occasion). I always try to be viligent with my male, he attacked my recently adopted foster female GP mix couple times when she was first in the house( she is very submissive) but no injury, just a lot of noise on his part. I mildly scolded him. Now they get along ok( she still doesn't trust him tho). Saturday night I,had some company over for dinner, which I do lot, casual, no stress, and had this little guy to get him socialized with men( his biggest fear), along with one of my guests dogs, male, neutered Shepard mix, who Pancho ( my male) adores, tho this guy pays zero attention to him or any other dogs, just his master, when he is over. Well, my guests can't help themselves when it comes to sneaking tidbits to the dogs from the table( a big no no in my book) especially when they knew I was trying to socialize the little visiting rescue doggie. He and everyone was doing well, my back was turned for a second( hostess) and I heard the commotion, which came from under the table. attack noise from my guy and squeals from little rescue. It ended quickly, I told Pancho, the perp, to go to his bed and stay, and checked out little guy for injuries, there were none. Everyone went about their business, feeling sorry for Pancho( I didn't see it happen, but 5 dogs under the table getting fed scraps is a recipe for disaster, in any house, if you ask me)Should I have even scolded Pancho? His bed is right in the main room, so not like he was removed from the party. IF he ever goes after another dog, it's rare, but he never causes injury, and it is usually from having his personal space invaded too much. He is 100 lbs, btw. Looks like a boxer with the build of a rottie.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Just think about it this way: When he goes for another dog, and you scold him, do you think that makes him feel better about the other dog's presence, or worse?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
who never fails to try to show his dominance with new visiting dogs.
Some dogs don't adapt well to a "revolving door" of dogs coming and going. Pancho sounds like he could be that type of dog.

Dogs thrive, and flourish, in an environment that is stable and predictable.

Honestly and frankly, if I were you I'd stop fostering dogs as long as Pancho is in the picture.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably worse, for everyone, not just Pancho. I crate foster dogs, in vp center of room, for theirown safety, but because the goal,was to expose to men , I did not this time, but will in all fairness tieveryone frond now on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't stop fostering, there are too few of us as it is. I will just crate fosters more often. Pancho is a good dog, but always thinks when have a foster, " oh no, not another rival "

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
IMO you have a responsibility to your own pets first. I fostered a litter of kittens a while back and it really stressed one of my cats out in particular even though the kittens were totally separate from them. So even though I'd like to and there is a need, we wont be fostering again at least for a very long time.

I wouldn't want to be putting any pet in a situation where they were consistently feeling stressed in their own home.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Isn't the purpose of fostering to also rehabilitate? How can you do that if your solution is to simply crate your fosters because of pancho? You say you won't ever give up fostering because there aren't many foster homes, but a bad foster home is the same, or worse as none at all. Your foster dogs deserve the whole process of being in a good home....that is the purpose of a good foster home. If, because of Pancho, all they are is being crated, you are nothing more than what a shelter offers.

"mildly scolding" Pancho means nothing to me. Probably meant nothing to Pancho either. I've both owned and fostered dogs who had issues with other dogs. Mildly doing anything never works. You as a human either MEAN what you do or you don't do it. Pancho needs to be fixed and until you actually DO that, then your fosters are at risk for developing issues they never had before coming to you. Pancho needs to be rock solid with other dogs, in my opinion, before you can call yourself a foster home.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
do agree your male is not cut out for the job of fostering... it's just not a job for him. My previous group of GSD's would never respond back at new dogs antics, not even if the new male mounted one of my strong intact males,, I was always there to supervise and would be right there to unmount the new altered male while my male waited for me to take care of it..... It was the calmness and their ability to ignore new comers, of my group that helped other dogs in the right direction. Chesca was not a first responder type dog lol lol ... so she didn't participate.. Some one would call and ask for an assistant dog for their DA dog and I would pick from my group that would fit best to their situation, their dog, and we would go find activities to do together.. No one can teach a dog better then the right dog.. but you need to have a dog that is right for the job.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I can't foster because of my current dog, either. Think about what you can offer that a shelter isn't already able to if you are just crating the dogs all day. As much as I would love to be a foster home if the fosters are in danger or even stressed due to your own dog (not to mention Panchos stress levels!) then fostering may not be right at this time.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I can't stop fostering, there are too few of us as it is. I will just crate fosters more often. Pancho is a good dog, but always thinks when have a foster, " oh no, not another rival "
See, you might think you might be helping, but it's kind of a selfish thing. You want to keep doing good things, and it feels good. Nothing wrong with that. But you should put your permanent pets and the fosters both first. That means not letting your dog be stressed and the foster dogs actually getting fostered, maybe just not with you.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
See, you might think you might be helping, but it's kind of a selfish thing. You want to keep doing good things, and it feels good. Nothing wrong with that. But you should put your permanent pets and the fosters both first. That means not letting your dog be stressed and the foster dogs actually getting fostered, maybe just not with you.
yes this^^^^ my current group is a disaster (but I love them they need work lol ) , not the right individuals to help another dog.... I had to turn my friend away who thought she was going to be homeless because my dogs would ruin her Preso she was rehabbing and her Preso would ruin my own group as individuals... she's fine, found a home that was a good fit, but she only found that other home because I refused put both our dogs in a really bad situation .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts