Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question, since getting my new pup, all's been going pretty well except for nipping. He plays with the girls, but then does quick nips at the girls muzzles. Chloe generally turns away and stops playing with him, but Nell tends to nip back. My question is, should I get involved with this, or should I let them work things out between themselves? They don't fight, and play pretty well, but occasionally get a lightning fast nip from Nell if he becomes nippy. Is Nell just setting the boundaries for him? Nell does put up with quite a bit of his puppyness, I just don't want a good relationship ruined if I do the wrong thing. Should I be stepping in, or do you think it will be better to let Nell set the boundaries for him?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would just watch closely and let them sort it out, depending on whether Nell and Chloe are the bully-able sort. (Honey, for example, is definitely bully-able.)

How old is this pup? The puppy license might still be in effect.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, as for how they are, when he does it to Chloe, most of the time she'll just walk off and either come by me or lay down. But occasionally she'll give a quick 'Stop That' snap and then just walk away. As for Nell, she'll stand up to him with ears back and give a quick snap, putting him in his place. She stands her ground. But not in a fighting kind of stance, just a 'You need to learn manners' kind of stance. And Nell is the one who had previously calmed down an aggressive dog when I had her on a walk at the river. The dog charged us, but then Nell circled around, and within 45 seconds, they were playing. The other owners had accidentally dropped the leash when the dog lunged, and said they had never seen their dog play like that, usually it would be an attack if they didn't have control of him. I talked to them a little about dog body language, and that the reason I dropped Nells leash is because she was sending clear calming signals, and that I didn't want to interfere in any way or it could spark a different reaction. It was a pretty cool experience to educate someone, even in the smallest way, lol. They were really happy it turned out positive, as they would have been liable if their dog attacked anyone or dog when they dropped their leash, even if it was on accident. And they told me how cool Nell was, lol. But anyways, Nell never backs down, but has something about her that is always positive.

As for pics, here's the thread....
http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/50479-another-possible-foster.html

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Young puppies have what's called "puppy license." Basically, that license to do most anything. Bitches are more tolerant of puppy license than males are.
The puppy license is revoked at approximately four months of age. At that time, the older middle-ranked dogs literally give the puppy hell -- psychologically torturing it until it offers all of the appropriate appeasement behaviors and takes its place at the bottom of the social hierarchy. The top-ranked dogs ignore the whole thing.
http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/dominance.htm

I would watch them for now, and make sure things don't get out of hand. If the nipping ever gets to a point where you're uncomfortable, just separate the dogs.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That I will do. It never lasts more than just a couple of seconds, and they are back to their happy selves, playing with toys, wagging their tails, licking muzzles, etc. I think Nell has it well under control. Am definitely watching them all the time and if anything does spark, I can jump in and stop it. With Nell, all I have to do is say 'Nell!!' and she stops immediately and comes to me. Will let them find their places for now and watch closely.

Also to add, here's their ages.....

Chloe - 6yo
Nell - Will be 2 soon
Sonny - 7mo

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Xena was like that with the boys when she first came. The boys were both 20 months and Xena was 8 weeks old. She did nip alot when she was a pup and oddly, the boys just tolerate her behaviour, and walked away whenever she was "nippy". I was told its part of their puppy license. Older dogs tolerate them because they know she is still a puppy and learning her manners. When she got a little too much for them and they cant get away from her, they told her off.

I just let them sort it out themselves. If I feel uncomfortable with their "playfighting" I distract them. "LET ME BITE YOUR FACE OFF" is a very common game between older dogs and puppies. LOL! :D

Now, Xena is not as nippy as she used to be. Her puppy pass seems to have expired and the boys are now making sure she knows her position in the "pack".

Lucky for me, the boys are naturally submissive and it seems Xena is going to be the dominant one. Well, the female dogs aren't called bitches for nothing, right? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts