Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

To neuter or not to neuter

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  RonE 
#1 ·
We have a 5m old male mix breed puppy (Buddy) and I'm really unsure if we should be neutering him. The vet said she doesn't really recommend one way or the other for dogs like him.

I'm keen to neuter him for all the decreased risks of testicular cancer and prostate issues but my hubby is against it and said we should leave him intact.

I'm just looking for some advice.

#2 ·
Your hubby is anthropomorphizing. Guys don't like to think about neutering.

The best reason (and it's a good one) for neutering your dog is so he can never impregnate a bitch in heat. You may think he will never have that opportunity, but intact males are remarkably resourceful.

#4 ·
Research within the past few years indicate that leaving dogs intact might be the better option, if possible, or at least altering them after maturity. There are also options to traditional neutering, including vasectomy. If you can guarantee that he won't have the opportunity to sire an oops litter, than you can leave him intact. If you think that might be a problem, then neutering (or vasectomy) is the better option.

Oh, and if you ever decide that you want to compete in AKC events, he'd have to be altered to get a Canine Partners Listing.

But yeah, I used to work for a vet, and a LOT of guys got a funny look on their faces at the word "neuter".

#5 ·
It depends on how well you can manage him. Are you sure he's never going to get loose and have an oops litter? An intact dog can smell a female in heat, and they sometimes get creative to get to her. Neutered dogs sometimes get a bit excited around females in heat, too, but at least they can't father a litter!

Some things to think about, it sometimes costs more to board your dog at a kennel if you go on vacation for an intact dog. Some boarding facilities will only take altered animals. The AKC thing, if you ever want to compete.

If you can, many studies show that waiting for the dog to reach maturity before altering can reduce the risk of certain cancers and even behavioral problems. If the choice was up to me, I would have waited until my dog was 1 year old to neuter, but he was from a shelter and they neutered him before he came to us.

#8 ·
I have a 2yr old intact dog. Beside the fact my contract with the breeder states she gets to use him for two breedings, I’m thinking of permanently leaving him intact.

I have a pretty perfect set-up here: just my husband & I but I did have my then 7rr old grandaughter here is first year of life.
We have a breezeway attached to the garage; someone would have to be walking in the breezeway at the exact time someone walks in. Very slim chance.

Our yard is fenced in (cedar fence) and both gates are locked.

With our set up, I’m confident that he wont get out. I may r-think the neutering, medical wise, later on but for now, he’s staying intact.

#10 ·
Years ago no one neutered male dogs. They never bred anything and were just fine.
Really? I think there were (and continue to be) oodles of unintended litters. When I was growing up, nobody in my area ever bought dogs or got a purebred dog, because there were always litters of puppies around of mixed dogs. People also used to 'bump' puppies on the head or use other methods to get rid of unwanted litters...these days they wind up in a shelter. Though people still drive out of the city sometimes and "let them go free" (basically abandoning half grown puppies or leaving small puppies in a box). I have pretty strong feelings on neutering *because* of what I saw years ago when no one seemed to worry about neutering.

I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving a dog intact until they are physically mature to get some of the health benefits, say 1 1/2-2 years, if you can guarantee their containment. Just remember that dogs can get super creative about getting out when the drive kicks in (fence climbing, digging under fence, etc).

#12 · (Edited)
My last male dogs were neutered at 8 and 3. Neither one ever demonstrated a single attempt at escaping to roam - not one. One of them was even a retired show/sport/breeding dog. Who had, in fact, been bred. Neither of them demonstrated any behavioral issues beyond Thud taking 93 years to grow a brain. Kiran, the current puppy in the house will get neutered at some time between 'fully mature and old enough that if something happens surgery would become risky'. I don't see a lot of accidental litters - as opposed to 'I don't care, puppies are cool we can always find homes on craigslist/dump them' ones, which has not a thing to do with being intact or not.

The overwhelming majority of evidence now supports leaving dogs intact until AT LEAST full maturity and honestly you'd have to be less intelligent than a sea cucumber to ACCIDENTALLY have a litter of puppies (as opposed to APATHETICALLY letting your dog have a litter of puppies because you can't bother with containment at all/don't actually care/think it might be cool - in which case most people won't bother s/n anyway, and if they do it'll be because it's convenient and easy, not because it's good for the dog).

I mean I get 'a pass' because I'm a dog sports person but even if I weren't: NOPE.

#14 ·
I have had two male Shih Tzu x Maltese that were not neutered. Remmy competed in Agility for many years as they do not have to be neutered to compete in AAC and was good. He is retired now and I did get him neutered last year at 9 years old as he started marking in the house although he had never done it before. Thankfully it has completely stopped it. My other male is 13 in March so I am leaving him as he has never been a problem.

#15 ·
I also feel it necessary to point out the only way to get a litter, even if an intact male and bitch are in heat *somehow* get together (and I'm sorry but if you don't know male and female dog having sex = puppies, I am calling 'dumber than a sea cucumber' ) is to be a-) checked out and unaware the dog is pregnant until puppies appear b-) willing to have a litter - at least more willing than you are to spay/abort. It's not like that is an option that is suddenly off the table if people care enough to take it.

Basically, to get puppies, you STILL have to be deeply apathetic - or stupider than a box of rocks.

#16 ·
I agree with "....stupider than a box of rocks", however it is truely amazing how many people can fit in that " box of rocks" .its bad enough to have puppies to show kids the facts of life but accidental Breedings are the results of " rock smart" people. We have had a couple of litters at our appt. as a result of " accidents" at our private dog park. I asked a lady what she was going to do with hers. " oh, someone will take them". I think some wound up in the pond. Raccoon food.

There are far too many unwanted dogs already, and far too few responsible people like 3GSD4IPO.

#17 ·
Sprocket is now 1 year old and I have no plans to neuter him anytime soon if at all
If I ever get a female puppy I will neuter him just to make sure I do not get an oops litter or if something medical comes up in the future I'd neuter
Besides those reasons I see no other good reason to neuter him
If you are a responsible owner and can be sure your dog doesn't contribute to the overpopulation why neuter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
We have a 5m old male mix breed puppy (Buddy) and I'm really unsure if we should be neutering him. The vet said she doesn't really recommend one way or the other for dogs like him.

I'm keen to neuter him for all the decreased risks of testicular cancer and prostate issues but my hubby is against it and said we should leave him intact.

I'm just looking for some advice.
I think your husband's right and its kinda cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.