Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I might just be wanting this to happen to soon. But I have an 11 week old British lab puppy that I have had for 5 days now. So long as I'm consistant he doesn't leave a mess in the house. He does not whine at night and sleeps in his crate. And I can tell him to sit and he will sit with out treats....I think that's pretty good myself....but the main thing I want worked at....is the Walk.

I have him on a harness and I make him wear it most of the day because he doesn't like the collar that is slightly big for him...come three weeks it ill be the perfect size. But I take him to the back yard on a leash every half hour to an hour or after nap or play to relieve himself...thus I leave the harness on...he does not hate it.

But I want him to a. heal at my side which will obviously take some practice. But when I take him out for walks he will start....and then sit and not want to move. How do I deal with this so I can take him out for walks more often.... I want walk to be a bonding time between the two of us and well...I might just be asking for to much at this age and how long I have had him.

If you have any pointers that would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My puppy does the same thing. I try to walk up and down the street with him and he'll actually walk for a few feet then stop. I just take my time with him and keep calling to him and saying "come here" and when he does I give him a treat. I'm not sure if it's because he's a puppy that he's doing it, or that he just doesn't like to walk. He used to walk about 3 feet and stop but now he can walk a good 20 - 30 feet, depending on how the little guy feels, but luring him with treats seems to be working. I'm sure once they get a little older he'll walk more freely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts