Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, well I noticed on Sunday that our dachshund/terrier mix - Twister has what appears to be a sore on his left front paw, just below the knee. It's red but not swollen or hot and the skin dosen't appear to be broken; just irritated. We've been watching it and yesterday DH seemed to think it was more irritated so we put a very lite layer of neosporin on it. Twister seems to be licking the sore more than we've noticed since Sunday - especially last night. So we're wondering, should allow him to just lick and watch the sore for changes or should we try to keep him from licking it. Get the dreading cone of shame!

We have an appointment schedule to see the vet about it but until then what should we do? Any advise would be greatly welcomed!!! Thanks!

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I would think you should try to not have him lick it too much. Instead of a cone you could try wrapping a bandage around it if he's fine with it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Be careful he doesn't lick it into an infection. Blu Boy and Leeo did from allergies once and had to have antibiotics. Their allergy feet got infected and caused a bacterial infection. If it gets worse I would see the vet IMHO.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi Everyone, well I noticed on Sunday that our dachshund/terrier mix - Twister has what appears to be a sore on his left front paw, just below the knee. It's red but not swollen or hot and the skin dosen't appear to be broken; just irritated. We've been watching it and yesterday DH seemed to think it was more irritated so we put a very lite layer of neosporin on it. Twister seems to be licking the sore more than we've noticed since Sunday - especially last night. So we're wondering, should allow him to just lick and watch the sore for changes or should we try to keep him from licking it. Get the dreading cone of shame!

We have an appointment schedule to see the vet about it but until then what should we do? Any advise would be greatly welcomed!!! Thanks!
Definitely don't let him lick it. It will prevent it from healing, despite popular belief that dog's saliva can 'clean' the wound, it's really much preferred if you just gently use a warm gauze, clean it, and then cone him!

My Butters' scab is still not healed and I had to put a cone on her because she kept scratching the scab off, and the wound underneath wouldn't heal :( She walks funny in it cuz the cone prevents her from sniffing the ground, which she loves to do, but it's for her own good!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank all of you for the advise. I'm heading to PetSmart today for the cone......I'm assuming it would not be a good idea to leave the cone on him when we are not home, right?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I thank all of you for the advise. I'm heading to PetSmart today for the cone......I'm assuming it would not be a good idea to leave the cone on him when we are not home, right?
Yes! You can take it off to give him breaks, but be prepared to interrupt him if he starts licking it again. I just leave it on all the time because my dog is very obsessive about the licking and scratching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts