Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a read of a few of the forums.

My and wife and I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while but our lifestyle has been somewhat demanding and we didn't feel that we could really give a dog the good home and attention it would need. Basically, we both have full time jobs that mean we're away from the house for around 8-9hours each weekday. On top of this, we live in a 2 bed flat so there isn't exactly much space for another (if smaller) member of the family, although the park is only 3 minutes walk away.

I'm a teacher which means I will have 6 weeks in the summer to buy and train a dog before work begins in again in September. After this time, the dog could also stay at my inlaws for a few weeks here and there if things got relly busy (They're dog mad).

Botton line: Is it realistic for us to be even entertaining the idea of getting a dog / rescue dog or puppy given our commitments as they are? We would certainly make a point of walking him/her everyday even if we couldn't necessarily be in all day and we can loan him/her to the inlaws who have often commented they would be more than happy to look after them. If so, what dogs might be appropriate?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Your concerns about space and working out of the home all day are pretty normal. Let me ask you this, why do you did you start entertaining the idea of getting a dog to begin with...what reasons do you have for wanting a dog?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Many people work 9-5 type of jobs. As long as you have a plan on how the dog will relieve itself during the day it should be fine. Just keep in mind you will need a dog who will be suited to this type of situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, nothing has really changed. The original plan was to move to a bigger place this year but the housing market now means we won't be moving for another 3 years most likely. I'm just enquiring as to whether we were right to dismiss getting a dog in the first place or if it is actually viable with ou current place and lifestyle. We figured we'd get a dog walker in 2 days a week and we'd do the rest. As for poop and food arrangements... we have kitchen/living room - could we train it to poop in a poop tray? What dogs would be appropriate in terms of the needs of the dog? Time / Attention / Exercise given the commitments we already have?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why wouldn't you just teach him or her to poop outside?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would say that your situation is workable with an adult dog. A puppy may require too much attention to be left alone for that long in the day. A dog of about 2 years or older would be ideal. Adult dogs require less supervision, don't need to be fed or taken out as often and are generally slightly more mellow.

As for breed, you need to be more specific. Some breeds need two or three 45-minute walks a day and are still raring to go for more; others will be happy with about half an hour each day. Some breeds need to be brushed daily in order not to turn out like walking messes; others, like mine, need brushing maybe twice a week, if not once. Think about lovemygrey's question: why do you want a dog? How much grooming and exercise are you aiming to do? Will this be your first dog? All these will help determine what breed is right for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why wouldn't you just teach him or her to poop outside?
If we're going to be out during the day, he won't be able to do this. We live in flat, so he won't be able to go outside

Think about lovemygrey's question: why do you want a dog? How much grooming and exercise are you aiming to do? Will this be your first dog? All these will help determine what breed is right for you.
We want a dog because he'd be like a member of the family. He/she would ,hopefully, be good company. As for grooming and exercise, if im honest we're both busy people so the less maintenance required the better. We've been cautious about rushing into this for this reason. This would be our first dog.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If we're going to be out during the day, he won't be able to do this. We live in flat, so he won't be able to go outside

We want a dog because he'd be like a member of the family. He/she would ,hopefully, be good company. As for grooming and exercise, if im honest we're both busy people so the less maintenance required the better. We've been cautious about rushing into this for this reason. This would be our first dog.
As long as you're able to let the dog out every 4 or 5 hours, your dog will poop outside only (except for very rare accidents). He/she doesn't need continuous access to the outdoors. I've had my adopted dog for about 9 or 10 weeks and she's never pooped in the house outside of the first day when she was really scared. I let her out about every 4 hours, but on occasions she has gone much longer. Also don't give the dog water or food right before bed if you want him/her to make it through the night without accidents.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Bulletin to the Americans: Flat = apartment.

They aren't able to let the dog out every 4-5 hours because they work 8-9 hours a day and only plan on having a dog walker come two days a week.

To the OP, I wouldn't get a dog in your situation. In fact, I DIDN'T get a dog when I was in your situation. I lived in an apartment for ten years and was dying to have a dog that entire time, but it just didn't make sense. There was no yard and everyone in the family was working or going to school full time. Then I moved into a house and my mother started working from home. Perfect!

Having said that, you could probably make it work. Your biggest problem seems to be giving the dog access to an appropriate bathroom. You could train a small dog to a potty tray, box, or pad. Bad news: You'd have dog waste in your house, which is going to smell, no matter what. You could hire a dog walker to come every weekday. Bad news: It would cost you a fortune. You could take the dog to your parents' house (or a doggy daycare) every weekday. Bad news: Vastly inconvenient to pack the dog and its stuff up and make that stop every morning before work and every afternoon on the way home. (I know this for a fact...this is how I do dog ownership myself.)

All dogs require grooming and exercise. On the one hand you say that you would like a dog for the companionship and on the other hand you say that you are too busy for a dog with stringent grooming and exercise requirements. What exactly do you want to spend your time doing with the dog? During what activities will it be your companion? TV watching?

Tons and tons of people with full time jobs also have dogs. This post has been entirely a matter of my personal preference. If my dogs were going to be alone a majority of every week and I was tired enough at the end of the day to question how much I wanted to groom and exercise them, then I wouldn't have dogs.

ETA: Is that a Borg smiley?!?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wouldn't recomend a dog in your present situation.I hate to say this,especially here on a dog forum,but if you want animal companionship,get a cat. Cats require less attention and can use a litter box.Dogs need attention and exercise and to go outside and use the bathroom outside.I never saw a toilet trained dog before.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They aren't able to let the dog out every 4-5 hours because they work 8-9 hours a day and only plan on having a dog walker come two days a week.
I work 8-9 hours a day, have a dog walker come zero days a week, and my dog goes to the bathroom outside.

They are in the same situation as many dog owners, and I can guarantee you most don't have their dogs defecating in the house.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I actually said that myself, George, and I didn't accuse you or anyone else of having a dog that defecates in the house.

I mentioned again that the OP can't let the dog out every 4-5 hours because Bonn suggested that this be done and it is not possible. It was a point of clarification.

If you will read my post in its entirety, it clearly states that many people have full time jobs and own dogs, but that it is my personal preference to not be one of them. I also provided reasoning for this preference so that the OP could understand my point of view.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, thats a Borg Smiley : )

Ok, things are as i suspected. At present, its not practical. Work for both of us if pretty hectic and stressful and we certainly don't want to add to that. That won't benefit us or the dog so I figure we'd better hold off until circumstances change.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Appreciated.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bulletin to the Americans: Flat = apartment.

To the OP, I wouldn't get a dog in your situation. In fact, I DIDN'T get a dog when I was in your situation. I lived in an apartment for ten years and was dying to have a dog that entire time, but it just didn't make sense. There was no yard and everyone in the family was working or going to school full time. Then I moved into a house and my mother started working from home. Perfect!

Having said that, you could probably make it work. Your biggest problem seems to be giving the dog access to an appropriate bathroom. You could train a small dog to a potty tray, box, or pad. Bad news: You'd have dog waste in your house, which is going to smell, no matter what. You could hire a dog walker to come every weekday. Bad news: It would cost you a fortune. You could take the dog to your parents' house (or a doggy daycare) every weekday. Bad news: Vastly inconvenient to pack the dog and its stuff up and make that stop every morning before work and every afternoon on the way home. (I know this for a fact...this is how I do dog ownership myself.)

All dogs require grooming and exercise. On the one hand you say that you would like a dog for the companionship and on the other hand you say that you are too busy for a dog with stringent grooming and exercise requirements. What exactly do you want to spend your time doing with the dog? During what activities will it be your companion? TV watching?

Tons and tons of people with full time jobs also have dogs. This post has been entirely a matter of my personal preference. If my dogs were going to be alone a majority of every week and I was tired enough at the end of the day to question how much I wanted to groom and exercise them, then I wouldn't have dogs.

ETA: Is that a Borg smiley?!?
Neither of them can go home to walk the dog during the day? I didn't see where the OP said that.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Thanks for holding back. Not many have the patience and commitment to put off getting a dog despite the knowledge that they don't have the room in their lives for one yet.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Neither of them can go home to walk the dog during the day? I didn't see where the OP said that.
I think I made that assumption based on the original statement that the OP and family are "away from the house for 8 to 9 hours a day." That didn't sound like they came home for lunch to me.

I better leave this thread, lol...I seem to be ticking people off today.

Before I go, I congratulate alexisbatman's restraint. It doesn't sound like you're in the best place in your life for a dog right now, so it seems wise to hold off on getting one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts