Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions: I have a Maltipoo/yorkie mix who is just over a year old. He stays in the house the majority of the time and his outside time is spent on a leash or supervised. I've read that it's better to get it done while he is younger. I don't plan on breeding him but my aunt (who I got him from) said I might want to later on. Should I get him fixed or keep my options open? Is there anything else I should be considering?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Newer research is showing that leaving them intact until at least maturity is better. If you can guarantee that he won't have the opportunity to sire an oops litter, then leaving him intact is fine (but do be aware that prostate problems are more likely in intact males. Another option is a vasectomy. He's still be technically intact, but unable to sire a litter.

If you wanted to get an AKC Canine Partners listing, and do AKC events like obedience or rally, he'd have to be neutered, though.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Like LeoRose said, research shows that leaving them intact until they are done growing can reduce the risk of certain health issues like cancer. At 1 year old, he is probably considered physically mature.

Also, breeding should be done to better the breed, not because you simply "might want to." Since he is a mixed breed...well, he's not really bettering anything passing on his genetics. There's plenty of mixed breed little fluffy dogs in the world looking for a home. If you really want to get into breeding at some point in time, I would suggest "apprenticing" with a reputable breeder of a specific breed. They could show you the ins and outs of breeding, selecting an appropriate mate for your dog, and what it ACTUALLY takes to be an ethical, reputable breeder who is focused on making the breed better and thinks about overall health and temperament before deciding to have a litter.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Since this is a small breed dog he is probably nearing full size. But really, hundreds of thousands of pets in regular pet homes are routinely spayed/neutered around 6months and that is just fine for a pet home. Not for really large or giant breeds.. or dog sport competitive homes.. but I never really like encouraging pet homes to wait to neuter. Too many oopsies seem to happen.

Your dog is probably a nice dog. Enjoy him as a pet.. but please don't breed him. There is a lot that goes into it and if you are going to do it responsibly it isn't going to be easy at all (or profitable).

·
Registered
935 Posts
As the rest have said research shows waiting till a dog is mature, has shown to help with certain types of cancer along with less of a risk of muscle tears.

At 1 year your dog a small/toy breed pretty sure is mature.

Most large breeds you looking at 18 months, giant breeds 18 to 24 months till plates close and full maturity in giant breeds is around 2.5 to 4 years by lines and breed.

Can you be certain he will not father a litter?
My biggest question at this point for you is why would you want to breed him later on?
A lot of people want another of the dog they had but forget most litters are going to be more than just a single pup. Do you have a home for those puppies?

I have a AKC registered, fully health tested dog with great temper, which is a great example of what the breed should be. Do I intend to breed him? Absolutely not.
I would have a pup, but also another 9 to 13 puppies to find a home for, a wife who would want to keep them all and frankly I know exactly how picky I would be with giving people a puppy and the people not knowing exactly what there getting into with a giant breed.

Then there is picking a good mate for your dog and the health of the female and what factors would compliment your dog to hopefully have a even better line of offspring.

Just not a fan of breeding to breed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Personally I prefer to neuter/spay all new arrivals (canine and feline). The only dog I had that was intact was a purebred Labrador that I attended some shows with; if the breed standard would have allowed me to show him neutered I would have.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just because a dog has testicles does not mean he ever has to be bred. You have a mixed breed dog. I would never breed him.

I would also never neuter him, unless he had a health issue such as prostrate trouble.

Neutering for the sake of neutering is only necessary in male dogs if you are a careless owner that lets your dog run OR you have intact females in the house and the male (who is not allowed to breed them) is a pain in the neck to keep confined while they are in heat.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Just because a dog has testicles does not mean he ever has to be bred. You have a mixed breed dog. I would never breed him.

I would also never neuter him, unless he had a health issue such as prostrate trouble.

Neutering for the sake of neutering is only necessary in male dogs if you are a careless owner that lets your dog run OR you have intact females in the house and the male (who is not allowed to breed them) is a pain in the neck to keep confined while they are in heat.
This is not good advice for the general public. They decide on a whim that their dog with balls should be bred to their friends dog just because their friend wants puppies and they have a dog with balls.

General public doesn't know how to handle intact dogs. Recent interaction with general public has made me super cautious to even kind of want to encourage intact dogs outside of sport/show/highly educated people. They just.. really don't know what they are doing.

I don't know what kind of research OP has done.. but they fact that they might even kind of consider maybe breeding their Morkie has me cautious.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would neuter, mixed breed and all the others comments about no need to breed. I had one intact male, a champion wire hair terrier, his life sadly ended when he thought he could over rule a neutered doberman, after that I have had all my dogs spayed and neutered. If I show again it will be in an environment that allows neutering.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would neuter, mixed breed and all the others comments about no need to breed. I had one intact male, a champion wire hair terrier, his life sadly ended when he thought he could over rule a neutered doberman, after that I have had all my dogs spayed and neutered. If I show again it will be in an environment that allows neutering.
Sorry about the loss of your wire hair terrier, but sadly neutering would most likely no effect on the situation that cause his death.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sorry about the loss of your wire hair terrier, but sadly neutering would most likely no effect on the situation that cause his death.

Sorry to hear about your terrier, but like MastiffGuy said, neutering wouldn't have made much, if any, difference. Dobermans, males (intact or not) especially, are known for same sex aggression. Combine that with terrier "big dog syndrome", and that's just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I vote with the consensus: If you think you might want to breed him - then STOP, that's a bad idea, so go get him neutered right now. However if you have the discipline Not to let him breed, and you can control him, then there is no need to fix him. One reason to neuter dogs is to reduce the glut of poorly bred mix breeds that may not get adopted, may be costly to take care of, or may reduce the quality of pet dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts