Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha.. Now that I have your attention..

My better half and I argue about if letting Merlin on the couch is a good idea..

I say NO.. as to let him know we are superior and he is to be on the ground
He says YES. and ensures me I will become weak in the knees and allow him to come up when I see his cute little face...

Which is the better approach?
I want a well manner little creature who respects our space!

Ty
MM:rockon:

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My dogs are allowed on certain couches. But they must move when we say so.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
You can teach Merlin that he is allowed when invited. :) I do this with all my dogs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Do you use any commands in specific?

I just want the best for him!
I have been reading like crazy about the dos and don't and I just hope I do everything right!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thank you! Do you use any commands in specific?

I just want the best for him!
I have been reading like crazy about the dos and don't and I just hope I do everything right!
You can use any words you wish ... but I taught them "off " and "sit" and "stay" and "up" I just removed them from the furniture and rewarded them with a treat and said "off" ( and many many "good boys!") I used "sit" and "stay" in the normal sense of the commands so they did not try and get back up without permission. I then invited them "up" and that was the reward for listening to the other commands! :)

I personally did not use the word "down" as I utilize that command for actual Lying down.

There is much work to do with puppies! But they sooner or later get it! :) Treats were important to my dogs when they were learning ... think of it as an incentive to listen. Eventually you can phase the treats out for a good belly or ear or neck rub and such!

EDIT: I am sure you will do fine! :)

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Don't worry about being "superior." Like Ian Dunbar has said, worrying about all that alpha-type stuff destroys the fun of living with your dog. Use Nothing In Life Is Free as your training guide, and let your dog on the couch only when he's invited. This is what I do with my dogs and my bed (they don't sleep with me but are allowed to nap there sometimes during the day), and it works great.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton is a snuggler. He loves the couch, he loves when we're on the couch with him. He's actually become a much calmer dog once he was able to get onto the couch by himself. He just likes to be up there chewing on a toy. We've adapted by always having something on the cushions to protect from rawhide squish, but our cats are allowed on all the furniture (well, except tables/counters), so what's a dog on the couch too?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My dogs are allowed on whatever they want, but they move if you tell them to. They sleep on the bed with us at night and snuggle with us on the chairs and couches during the day, but they are small dogs (16 and 26 lbs). Never had a problem with them thinking they are "superior". They are dogs. We are humans. They know this.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly is a member of our family so she goes on the couch whenever she wants to. The type of dominance theory you're citing is really old fashioned and has been long debunked. You don't need to keep your dog physically lower than yourself to be your dog's leader.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Please forget everything you've read that involves the words "wolves" and "dominance". That was all debunked a long time ago.

Kabota loves the couch. He's probably on it right now. I love him on the couch, because I don't want to have to sit on the floor to snuggle with him. He just has to move if I tell him to.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster is allowed on the furniture. He knows to move when told by even the smallest human in the house

While he prefers to lounge on the couch, if its already full of humans he has no issues taking the chair instead

He really enjoys his naps, even grabs a pillow for himself

He does, occasionally, decide humans are better for sitting on

Even that has its uses, especially when dealing with a teenager

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep no issues with dogs on any of the furniture for me as long as they respect that it's my area if I want it. If Jubel is on the couch where I want to sit I'll just ask him to move, he'll get up, I'll sit down, then he'll snuggle up with me 80% of the time and I love it.

He also sleeps in my bed with me. When I first started letting him sleep in the bed with me he'd get a bit growly sometimes when I wanted him to move. That was fixed pretty quickly by making him realize the bed was a privilege not a right for him. If he got grumbly he was kicked out of the bed for the night and not allowed back up. He caught on very quickly and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd guess TO COUCH in your house. Great piccies and Buster is too gorgeous!!
Same here, nothing dominant, although we've had to get a bigger one to accommodate all of us. Life wouldn't be the same for any of us with out sofa (and bed) snuggles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
We don't let the dogs on some furniture, but do on others. But it has nothing to do with 'being the boss' but just our preference.

However, if they ever got territorial- like growling at me- I would stop it all together.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
As Buster matured we did have an issue with him growling when moved, mostly directed towards my teenager. This was not caused by allowing him on the furniture, it was not helped by taking away his furniture privileges. What happened was Shaylyn (14 this summer) would take Buster by the collar to move him instead of using "off", "move" or "out". Most of the time he'd go along with it just fine but every so often he'd growl, basically telling her "I dont like what you're doing, stop it!!". He would rumble at her weather he was on the cement basement floor or the couch, location didnt matter it was all his perspective on being comfortable.

Solving the issue meant training the kids...Bus wasnt being aggressive, Shaylyn was! The kids were not, for any reason, to take a hold of Busters collar. To prevent mistakes that would allow them to practice unwanted behaviors, I would remove Busters collar when he was inside. Instead of becoming fearful of Buster, Shaylyn started asking what she could do to help fix the issue (this took a whole lot of guts, Bus has been bigger than her since he was 9-10 months old). She put a lot of effort into strengthening her bond with Bus through training, meal delivery, potty walks, play and grooming (he loves to be touched, brushed and have humans make a fuss over him).

We havent had another growling incident with him for probably 18 months now. The girls learned how to use their voices to move Buster around the house. He's usually very willing to go along with whatever they have in mind, when he's not theres always bribery! The easiest way to get Busters attention is to wave a smelly treat in front of his nose (he's not one to snap treats, he opens his mouth so the girls can place the treat on his tongue). Once you have his attention he becomes your shadow....a drooly shadow, but still a shadow.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
LuvMyAngels: Fantastic! You have to train the kids as well as the dogs. It can't be said enough.

My MIL is hopeless with dogs, though she does like Kabota. She was trying the same thing with Kabota's collar, and he wouldn't growl, he would just go utterly limp and refuse to move. So I told her if she wanted him to move, simply take a treat, show it to him and throw it across the room. That gets him off her seat on the couch, she's happy and he's happy. My husband and I use "move".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all your wonderful replies!

I am aware that all that alpha male stuff has been "debunked" and will probably be the sucker who allows it.. My parents doxie is always on the couch! I have just heard a lot of different opinions. I love the idea of the invitation. My old Wired Haired Fox Terrier was a doll for asking to come up. Chin on your knee.. sad puppy eyes.. and would only jump up if asked. So I do like the sounds of it. Thank you for your opinions! I suppose I can now say my other half.. is sort of right.. but I just won't let him know it. lol

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
LuvMyAngels: Fantastic! You have to train the kids as well as the dogs. It can't be said enough.

My MIL is hopeless with dogs, though she does like Kabota. She was trying the same thing with Kabota's collar, and he wouldn't growl, he would just go utterly limp and refuse to move. So I told her if she wanted him to move, simply take a treat, show it to him and throw it across the room. That gets him off her seat on the couch, she's happy and he's happy. My husband and I use "move".
Absolutely! Now if only the kids (and husband!) were as responsive to training as Buster has been...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, we let Carmen (spanish water dog around 8 monhts when we got her) on the leather sofa and chair, since that could be wiped down easily, but not on the cloth sofa and chair since I didn't want to be taking th slip covers off to wash them all the time. Plus I have allergies and didn't want her bring pollen onto the sofa from outside. She understood right away and jumped all over the leather furniture and never tried to jump on the fabric. However, (this is where it all fell apart) we love her so much and love to snuggle her and wanted her to snuggle on the sofa that we always use, so we started inviting her on with us. So now she's allowed on all the furniture but will definitely get off if we ask her to.

Defintiely couch, there is nothing nicer than a snuggly dog to share the sofa. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is going to sound crazy, but I have a large footstool and a somewhat ratty old wingback chair that are set up sort of behind my main living room area, and it's sort of like a designated "pet lounge." I also let my dogs on our main couch, but really only if I'm sitting there. If not, they go to their "spot." I taught the command, but I rarely have to give it, as they seem to prefer having their own little area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts