Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dry food may be the best for cats as it is with dogs, but something happened to our cat that made us change.

We were on complete dry food for years without any problem when all of a sudden one of our cats became constipated, almost to sickness. We ALWAYS have water available and yet it still continued. We quickly switched to soft food and he became much better.

I recommend have half and half: give some wet food in the morning and some dry at night.

I don't I just found this interesting.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We had a cat who refused to drink water. We gave him canned food once a day and that helped.

Our cats now, ehh one of them gets sick with wet food. No matter what brand, what kind... she gets sick.
Then we have another cat who can only eat wet food.
It's hard to find a wet food all 4 can eat, so we just don't give it to them (except the one who can only eat wet food).

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Generally canned food is better for cats than dry. Cats don't usually drink enough water, as their bodies are designed to get most of their mosture from their diet. Canned food is high in mosture so it helps with that. Offering it can also help prevent stones (which male cats are prone to). Also, if you have an overweight cat that needs to lose weight they do it much easier on canned. We give our cats canned and dry.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Gosh, I wish I had a cat who would eat canned food. Mortimer will NOT eat it. :( I have tried it all. He might eat it one time and the next, no way. I have never had a cat who didn't like it.

I just spent $300 on him because I was afraid he had another UTI (he didn't eat for 2 days which is not at all like him...he's my mini hoover). He was acting like he did with the UTI so off to the vet we went. Mort does drink a lot of water and I hadn't seen him drink much the past couple of days. Couldn't find anything wrong with him (slightly low white cell count) and they gave me an appetite stimulator. He was hungry when we got home so it must be working. He also drank when I was watching him.

Good thing I'm getting a tax refund since most of it is going to pay off the vet. But he's worth it...most of the time! ;) Here's a picture of my big boy at 15#! He's being good by scratching on a tree root instead of my furniture. And yes, he goes outside.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It took a lot of work to get snickers to eat canned food. We started by putting tiny little bits of it on each piece of her dry food and over . . . gee i think it was months we very slowly increased the amount of canned until she would eat just plain canned food. We also had to find a kind she liked. She only likes the 2 flavors of wellness and the before grain quail.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My kitties have dry free choice, and get wet atleast 3 times a week; any more than that and they leave it, and at the prices of decent canned foods...I can't afford for them to leave it for me to throw away...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I give my boys half a small can of wet a day. I also have one of those water fountains for everybody. It's funny they all have different drinking styles. Coco and the dog drink out of the bowl part and Bobee prefers to drink where the water slides down the fountain part.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The Ruthie Chicken (our manx) loves canned food, so if snickers doesn't eat hers Ruthie Chicken will. For quite awhile we were only feeding them canned food. Snickers is a dry food addict, has no sense of self control with eating and is extremely annoying. So feeding only canned food makes life saner for us. However it is very expensive so we can't do that right now. They have been getting canned a few times a week . . . and we have to live with snickers constantly begging for food.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I definitely prefer canned/wet food over dry for my cats. We got them when they were just 6 weeks old from a family that couldn't care for them, and found out almost immediately that they were having tummy trouble. They had several bouts of diarrhea, all stemming from too much bad bacteria in their intestinal tract. After numerous vet visits, one kind vet finally told us that probably the best thing we could do to control and prevent this from happening was to give them canned food and the highest quality dry food we could afford. We started this and have never turned back...in fact, I've increased their wet food and decreased the dry to a minimal amount because they seem to do so much better that way. Their stools are healthy (dark and firm) and they don't need to drink as much water because they are getting most of what they need from their food. Their coats are shiny and healthy, too! If I could afford it, I'd go even further and feed raw, but that's a little too pricey for me right now.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I think I have found a canned food Mort likes! He is on Purina One for Urinary Tract (recommended by my vet) and I bought some of the canned food and...HE WENT NUTS! I have never ever ever seen him eat canned food like he did this stuff. :eek: And a little later he was eating his dry. It's .83 for this tiny little can but if he will eat it a couple times a week, then hey, I'll buy it for him. So here's to hoping he will continue to eat it if I buy it...;)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i was feeding my cats canned and dry for a few years. frodo, my big guy, is chubby, and he was a kibble addict, but he did eat canned too. we just switched to all canned since it should/will help him lose weight. i refuse to feed them low cost food since it is also low quality, so we feed wellness, and they only like 4 flavours. that is ok, because they used to only eat 2, so i am happy with 4. my kitties have been on just canned for about 3 weeks now and i have to say i am liking it! blue, my siamese, used to throw up a lot, at least 3-4 times a week. she has thrown up 2 times since the switch, and that was in the first week!! frodo is also down a little in weight so i am very happy about that too.

i truly believe that all canned is what is best for my cats. frodo didn't beg for kibble when we switched but when i feed the ferrets frodo runs over to sneak a few kibbles. i didn't notice much of a change other than the lack of vomitting, since my kitties were on high quality kibble and canned for years now. maybe their fur will get "plusher" or something as the time goes by, i don't know, they are pretty darn shiny already! the cost is not too bad either since we get a case of 12 large cans for $33 and i can stretch the cans to almost 14 days so it is about $66/month to feed them. and we have a card so we get the 11th case for free.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've had my cat since last June and since I got him, he's always eaten a small can of food every other day. A month ago, I switched him to TOTW dry food and now he won't touch his canned food anymore. I guess I'll have to switch him to a different food...I don't know what else to do. I definitely worry that he's not getting enough water now, though. Anyone have a suggestion about dry food for him? He was eating Natural Planet Organics, but didn't like it very much and he will not touch Wellness dry.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
my kitties used to eat orijen dry and they loved it. well, frodo loved it and blue ate it. a way that helped us make sure that the kitties got enough water was to get a fountain. we had the petmate one and then switched to the cat it one. i found that both of these fountains collected a lot of fur since we have hardwood and tumbleweeds of fur happen about 5 seconds after we vacuum! we switched to this cat it fountain and it is working out a lot better. it is much easier to fill and there is much less fur getting inside. the running water really helped to encourage my kitties to drink.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I guess I'm lucky with Mortimer. He always drinks a lot of water...I thought it was too much but I guess it's not. I don't want him to have only canned food...that's just me. Now that I have a canned food that he will actually eat (never had a cat who didn't like canned food) I will probably give it to him 3-4 times a week. The dogs and cat drink out of the same bowl and Roxxy doesn't like anything that makes noise or moves when she drinks. It's worked well for 4 years and I'm good with it. Mort, however, does expect the water to be at a certain level or he makes a mess with the water. He's got ME trained!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
i was feeding my cats canned and dry for a few years. frodo, my big guy, is chubby, and he was a kibble addict, but he did eat canned too. we just switched to all canned since it should/will help him lose weight. i refuse to feed them low cost food since it is also low quality, so we feed wellness, and they only like 4 flavours. that is ok, because they used to only eat 2, so i am happy with 4. my kitties have been on just canned for about 3 weeks now and i have to say i am liking it! blue, my siamese, used to throw up a lot, at least 3-4 times a week. she has thrown up 2 times since the switch, and that was in the first week!! frodo is also down a little in weight so i am very happy about that too.
My cats did very well on only canned. Snickers is a kibble addict, she is so annoying when they are getting dry. Hopefully in a few months we will be able to afford to feed them only canned again. They get wellness canned too, but they only like 2 flavors (the chicken and the beef and salmon one), but they also like the quail before grain food, so they would get that every few days too.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Well, I have created a monster. The cat who has turned his nose up at canned food for over 4 yrs now DEMANDS canned food every night. It is so annoying. I need to get more so I have to make it last. I didn't buy much because he wouldn't eat what I bought and I got tired of wasting money. Ah well..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i have not tried any other canned food because the other ones that i would use are more expensive and i wouldn't feed the cheaper ones to them! haha! i will have to check the price of the before grains ones though...

my guys will only eat the chicken and turkey ones, and the chicken and herring and turkey and salmon flavours. we tried a beef one and it did not go over well at all!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Mortimer has decided he likes the Purina One Urinary Tract formula. He eats the dry food so I guess it's all good. The vet said this was the best dry to feed him (that isn't prescription @ $22 for a 4# bag). He has done well on it so I'm happy to buy it. The amount of canned to feed him (per the can) is 1.1oz per pound of body weight)...Mort weighs 15#! He would eat me out of house and home if all I feed him was canned. He gets canned at night and has dry to eat if he gets hungry at any other time.

The things we do for our furr babies! Gotta luv 'em. ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
My cat eats only dry food. It keeps her teeth clean and she has had no problems with dehydration or stomach troubles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts