Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
of we are going to get technical, i have 2 mastiffs lol. Lexi is 36" at the withers last time i checked, and about 6'4" when she stands on her back legs. weight wise neither are very heavy dogs, i think Lexi is about 120...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Uallis is about 31 inches tall and around 185-190lbs. I'm assuming, since his last vet appointment several months ago he was 182...I know he's heavier than that now. So his weight is an estimate. I'll know for sure when he goes back to the vets to have his warts looked at again (they might have to be removed) in about a month or so. As for when he stands on his hind legs...I'm not sure how tall he is then...I've never measured it and he hardly ever does that anyway.

I think Uallis is the oldest English Mastiff here (I'm not sure how old MoJo is) so that would account for him being the biggest (if he is). Uallis will probably top out around 200lbs, but I don't think he'll get more height...maybe another 1/2 inch but I doubt it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
OMG! 200#!!!:eek: I know as they get older they don't eat as much but it must cost a fortune to feed him! I think I'll stick to my little 'ankle biters' thank you very much. ;)
I suppose he's pricey to feed. I get asked that a lot about him. I don't really think that he eats a lot and probably not as much as most people think...only about 6 cups a day. I knew Mastiff's were expensive before I got Uallis so I was prepared for the increased costs and knew what to expect. Everything costs more for Uallis than it does for Eddie. For example, a normal vet appointment for Eddie normally doesn't go over $100. With Uallis, I've never had a vet bill under $150. Uallis's flea meds costs more and he has to take 2 heartworm pills a month as opposed to one. Just getting a collar big enough to fit him is expensive and not to mention they are hard to find where the price isn't completely outrageous. Right now, I'm shopping for a new crate for Uallis and possibly Eddie (their crates are falling apart...) and I'm probably going to have to shell out a good bit over $200 for Uallis's alone...so yeah...they are a pretty expensive breed to have...BUT they are totally worth it! :D I don't think any Mastiff owner would disagree with me there! :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr P, how much does Aslan weigh? You never did really answer the question. :p

My 2 could eat for 3 days on the food Uallis eats! But I would hope that anyone who got a Mastiff would do a little research on how much it would cost to care for them properly. I have learned to appreciate how wonderful they can be from being on DF. But as I've said before, I will admire them from afar...very afar. ;) I do wish, however, that I could meet Aslan, Uallis, Otis, and Mojo. They all seem like such neat, big, goofy, slobbery guys. :D

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Otis is just a peanut ;)
He's only 168 and about 30 high as of 2 weeks ago.
I really wish he'd stay this size--he's just right. He's 19 months old now-so not much more bulking up to do...I hope :eek:

He goes through a 35 pound bag of Chicken Soup about every 2 weeks to 17 days, so he dosen't eat THAT much...but I suppose thats a lot to you chihuahua owners :p

He's getting Neutered on the 18th of this month..so we'll see if it calms this big lug down or not...I am hoping a little bit..he's got too much puppy runnin through him lately haha

·
Registered
823 Posts
There was a mastiff at my work who weighed 240 pounds. He was pretty over weight (at least 50 pounds), but I could not believe how big he was. He came in for allergy testing and it turned out that he is allergic to cats. I thought that was funny...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
There was a mastiff at my work who weighed 240 pounds. He was pretty over weight (at least 50 pounds), but I could not believe how big he was. He came in for allergy testing and it turned out that he is allergic to cats. I thought that was funny...
haha That is funny!
Otis' dad weighs 245, so I am glad Otis doesn't look like he's gonna get as big as his Daddy lol His dad is huge--massive--wrinkles and flappy skin everywhere-not fat at all--just massive. Sure hope Otis doesn't hit a VERY suprising growth Spurt :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't post often but I love Mastiff threads ;)

Deacon isn't quite a year old yet and he is 110lbs.

Hauns is our rescue boy and we have been battling one health issue after another since he came home with us about 3 months ago. He is WAY underweight and weighs in at 143 as of two days ago. He gained ten pounds in two weeks though so YAY!

I will have to try and measure their height later. I know Deacon looks to be close to the same height and I believe Hauns is about 30 inches at the shoulder.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a very fun thread for me. I did not realize they got THAT big. WOW :eek:

Sug...35# would last my 2 FOREVER! They each get 1C a day...Butch a little less cuz he's a little chunky. Roxxy still have a very girlish figure so I'm not worried about her.

Thanks for all the replies and keep 'em coming. I have a new respect for people who own giant breeds...not too sure about their mental state so you gotta have respect...they might sick their dog on ya so they could sit on you and drown you with their slobber!! JK! ;)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Want to know how big they get? This is Orson, who's now retired. He's one of my favorite Mastiffs and I'd LOVE to have one of his grand pups! I belive he's either 36" or 38 at the shoulder and weighs in at around 260#

http://www.stpatricksmastiffs.com/
http://www.stpatricksmastiffs.com/orson.htm

haha That is funny!
Otis' dad weighs 245, so I am glad Otis doesn't look like he's gonna get as big as his Daddy lol His dad is huge--massive--wrinkles and flappy skin everywhere-not fat at all--just massive. Sure hope Otis doesn't hit a VERY suprising growth Spurt :eek:
If you don't mind my asking, who is your breeder? I know a couple of GREAT people in PA that breed and I'm curious if he's one of their dogs.

MDawn, have you though about using liquid Ivermectin? It's safe and MUCH cheaper than Heartgaurd (a $25.00 bottle is about 20 treatements for a Mastiff)

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Alpha,Aslan isnt as heavy as the English Mastiffs,he was 154lbs at last weigh in a while back (maybe 160lbs now but i cant see him going beyond that).

He is a mix of bullmastiff and Neopolitan/american bulldog,his mum looks more like a bandogge in apperance,he is tall (not sure how i will measure him) but he will never weigh as much as say Otis or Uallis,English mastiffs are the worlds heaviest breed (i think??) Aslan maybe similar in height but the EM are heavier set than him.

Carla that pooch is MASSIVE!!!!!!!! and awesome,perhaps one day i'll get an English mastiff,after all i am English.haha

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, who is your breeder? I know a couple of GREAT people in PA that breed and I'm curious if he's one of their dogs.
Loyal Heart out of Pittsburgh...she owned Otis' mama who died 3 days after giving birth --she has no planned breedings nor do I believe she is anymore...it killed her to lose her girl :( But Otis' dad I know is still breeding...maybe in a few years we'll get one of those big boys :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Want to know how big they get? This is Orson, who's now retired. He's one of my favorite Mastiffs and I'd LOVE to have one of his grand pups! I belive he's either 36" or 38 at the shoulder and weighs in at around 260#
Holy s*&^!! That is a massive dog...thanks for the info!

Alpha, Aslan isnt as heavy as the English Mastiffs,he was 154lbs at last weigh in a while back (maybe 160lbs now but i cant see him going beyond that).

He is a mix of bullmastiff and Neopolitan/american bulldog,his mum looks more like a bandogge in apperance,he is tall (not sure how i will measure him) but he will never weigh as much as say Otis or Uallis,English mastiffs are the worlds heaviest breed (i think??) Aslan maybe similar in height but the EM are heavier set than him.
I didn't realize Aslan was a mix. But I'm sorry, 160 is still a big dawg! Mine are 14 (Butch) and 19 (Roxxy); Mortimer is a big cat at 15#. Aslan is a very handsome guy. Love to see him killing cones! :eek:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Carla that pooch is MASSIVE!!!!!!!! and awesome,perhaps one day i'll get an English mastiff,after all i am English.haha

Well, I know that St. Pats had a hand in helping to get the breed reestablished in England, along with a couple others. She also still ships across and recently added a couple English bred boys to her kennel.

SDO, I though he might be out of the Celestial lines, it's between her a Tamara at St Pats right now for my next mastiff baby (two years away). Though we MAY be adding a Great Dane in the next few months.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
MDawn, have you though about using liquid Ivermectin? It's safe and MUCH cheaper than Heartgaurd (a $25.00 bottle is about 20 treatements for a Mastiff)
I've heard about people using it but I never really put much thought into in terms of using it for my dogs....I'll definitely look into it though. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
SDO, I though he might be out of the Celestial lines, it's between her a Tamara at St Pats right now for my next mastiff baby (two years away). Though we MAY be adding a Great Dane in the next few months.
I looked at them when we were lookin into getting Otis, but they didn't have any pups at the time...I will definitely keep them in mind for my next Mastiff...whenever that may be :)

Great Dane? Puppy? Do tell...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts