Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, guys!! I have an almost senior dog (8 years old) and I just wanted to ask for your tips on how to like give them more tender loving care. She's doing great though, no cataracts, heartworm, or any illness.

I just want to prevent rather than cure. Any recommendations such as vitamins or supplements? :D

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Keep their brain and body active! Enrichment activities like having them search for kibble in a rolled blanket or use puzzle toys encourages them problem solve and move their body naturally in ways that help keep them flexible. They have to bend, stretch, bow, use their paws, etc. That and keeping their brain active can stave off boredom and mental and physical decline, just like with older humans. Enrichment isn't a replacement for walks, training, or other activities you do regularly, but can be really helpful for dogs of all ages.

There's tons of low-cost and DIY ideas out there, too. The Facebook group Canine Enrichment is a great place to start, as is the book written by the group's founder. But a google search can also come up with a lot of great ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good quality diet that's high in moisture, especially if she's not a big water drinker.
Dry diets aren't "natural" and can be hard on the kidneys.
Hi! I don't really give her dry dog food. I always make sure to prepare steamed or boiled chimkens for her cause she likes it. She likes veggies too like carrots, beans, and cabbage. I only give her dry dog food when we are on a vacation or when she gets tired of chimkens. But I try not to give dry food often.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep their brain and body active! Enrichment activities like having them search for kibble in a rolled blanket or use puzzle toys encourages them problem solve and move their body naturally in ways that help keep them flexible. They have to bend, stretch, bow, use their paws, etc. That and keeping their brain active can stave off boredom and mental and physical decline, just like with older humans. Enrichment isn't a replacement for walks, training, or other activities you do regularly, but can be really helpful for dogs of all ages.

There's tons of low-cost and DIY ideas out there, too. The Facebook group Canine Enrichment is a great place to start, as is the book written by the group's founder. But a google search can also come up with a lot of great ideas.

Thank you so much!! That's what we're doing right now. I try to hide some treats under my pillows so she can find it. It's always funny because whenever she finds it, she keeps it on her bed. =)))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts