Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my dog to shed ALL HER FUR, apparently! The weather here has been very weird all winter, but the 80-degree days we had last week seem to have finally triggered Biscuit to blow her coat, leaving furry tumbleweeds everywhere and causing me to buy stock in lint-roller companies. And she doesn't even have a double coat!

(It's just seasonal shedding, I'm not worried about her health. We feed her fancy kibble and she gets fish oil and vitamin E supplements as well. So the fur floating through the air and clogging my vacuum is very healthy and shiny.)

We usually use a Zoom Groom, but it was just pushing the hairs around and making them airborne, so this morning I was forced to resort to the Furminator...and I removed a pile of hair the size of a football. It must feel good for her. I imagine she was hot! She looks, honest to God, like a different dog who weighs 5 pounds less. Behold half of today's work:

Untitled by Hamandeggs23, on Flickr

Is anyone else experiencing the joy of the spring blown coat right now? And am I the only one who has seriously considered vacuuming her dog? (Just kidding...sort of...)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm not experiencing it (yet) but I know other Siberian owners who's coats blew in August and again in December because of the weather.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yup! Caeda blew her coat just a short while ago, plus the cats have been shedding. Two weekends ago (right in the midst of the coat-blowing) I spent most of Saturday bathing and brushing (one cat and Caeda got the full treatment, the other cat just got a good brushing). I swear I almost filled the bathroom garbage, plus all of the hair that was all over me, on the floor and in the tub....not to mention the fur in the air.

At least it looks like the coat blowing is pretty much done for Caeda, I'm back to only having to vacuum/sweep every few days instead of daily (and STILL seeing big balls of fur rolling like tumbleweeds!).

Oh, and you're not the only one considering vacuuming. I've actually spent a little bit of time trying, unsuccessfully so far, to desensitize Caeda to our hand-held dyson (the full sized ones apparently have a pet grooming tool, oh someday!). :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kaylee blew her coat last week...I literally had an entire grocery bag FULL of hair...my husband and I said she had a "puppy"...LOL! The only nice thing about her blowing her coat is that she is shedding a lot less now :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
shewwww, yes. Started back in FEBRUARY! It's just barely starting to slow.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Looks like Gally is starting his first coat blow. We usually have hair everywhere but now it's really EVERYWHERE, my jeans look like they are made out of dog hair. Mmm dog hair for dinner.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I vacuumed yesterday and I'm about to vacuum today (the floor, not the dog, sadly)...Biscuit is so disgruntled, what with all the Furminating, tooth brushing, and vacuuming.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I know someone who vacuums their dog. Sounds like a great idea! I might try it - Kit will do anything if there's food involved. I'd be worried about the vacuum, though.

Yes, it's definitely the season here, too, though we did get some snow today. The butt hair sheds off in small chunks, which I think is sort of strange. And no, it's not matted - it just does that every spring. I found chunk #3 today.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
GottaLuvMutts said:
Yes, it's definitely the season here, too, though we did get some snow today. The butt hair sheds off in small chunks, which I think is sort of strange. And no, it's not matted - it just does that every spring. I found chunk #3 today.
Buffalo butt! Toby and Moose are shedding like that, too. Penny just sort of thatches up and I think I'll take her to a groomer this year.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buffalo butt! That is too funny. Biscuit isn't doing that...yet. Yesterday's Furmination seems to have helped a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Furminated Felix yesterday after he decided to turn my sofa into a snow globe. Most of his poofy lion's mane is gone except for the underbelly, and he wasn't too happy with me. He hasn't been too much of a brushing fan since we adopted him. His previous owners didn't really do anything along the lines of keeping him groomed as a puppy and the shelter had just shaved him down when we walked in to adopt him. I forgive him for making my couch hairy, nothing a vacuum and lint rollers can't fix, but I'll be happy when he finishes getting rid of the winter coat (even though we never had a winter in the American South)

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Susie, my Bernese cross has really started to shed. I am going to take her into the Self-bathing- grooming place so they can have the pleasure of cleaning up her hair. Well worth the $15.00 to bath her and use their hi-volicity dryer to blow her hair all over the place. I always feel badly looking at the hair everywhere but guess that is what you pay for. She gets buffalo butt and hates to have it combed out. I usually end up clipping most of it off and it comes in nicely afterwards a she seems to grow lots of "leggings" so it is not long before it looks good again.

Really makes me appreciate my almost non-shedding Shih Tzu x Maltese.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts