Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took Tir in today for a consult w/ the vet....asked a lot of ?'s ...how invasive, risks, chances of recurrence, stay, recovery time, etc....really nice vet (felt comfortable w/ him), and told me that it's about as invasive as a spay w/ the normal risks involved, not highly likely to happen again--a fluke to begin w/, should only have to stay over night w/ definitely 10 days of down time (yeah, this is a Border Collie, they don't know the meaning of "down time")

so, i'll update you all tomorrow after surgery when i hear from them (and i'll get some gruesome pics to show you when she comes home)...but she and i are going to be basket cases for tomorrow night....

·
Registered
546 Posts
I hope everything goes well for you and Tir today, keep us updated. I'm glad you feel comfortable with the vet, I know that can be hard when its not your regular vet.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, just heard from the vet....Tir came thru the surgery and the anesthesia well....her surgery was at about 2:30-3:30 (so about an hr)....she has a drain in there to let the air and any fluids "leak" out so the tissue can start mending together....

i'll tell you, i am going totally nutz (was gonna say something else but i didn't think it would be appropriate here:eek:)...it has been so long since i have been down to just 2 dogs w/ me and it is strange....i don't think i could ever be w/out my pack again (at least 3 and even that feels weird)....

but, more tomorrow (i can go see her in the a.m.) and you can bet i'll be calling at least once in the middle of the night tonite (graveyard shift is great:D)....

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I am so glad to hear that Tir made it through surgery and is resting comfortably.

Will you be able to bring her home in the morning?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably not until late afternoon (about 24 hrs after surgery)....she may still have the drain tube in if need be so we'll see....lots of kennel rest for her :( (poor girl)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am so happy that Tir came through the surgery so well. A big load off your mind I am sure. I hope she recovers really quickly. Actually, I know she will. People would sit around whining about something like that for months but a dog will have to be tied down to NOT get right back to normal activities. Give her a little kiss for me. :)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FRIDAY UPDATE:

went to see her on my way home from work (just to let her know i haven't abandoned her) and she doing good...she gets to come home about noon but here are some pics from when i was there....

don't know how well you can see this but...

and her beautiful "collar"...

can we say "stressed"...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and SHE'S HOME!!!!! she was soooo happy to get out of there, she didn't even want to get out of the van when we went to the bank (took her in to show the tellers her "owie" and to get a treat).....but, she's definitely going to be feeling better after this....they even found/removed some salivary stones (that had to hurt to swallow)....

also, meant to tell you the other day (Wed) she had her eyes CERF'd clear....total bill on all was just over $2000....not too bad, i guess.....

now comes the fun part of trying to keep a Border Collie "calm and quiet" for 14 days.....ummm, okaaayyy....:D:rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she's on Tramadol and Rimadyl and that's it....the Tramadol will cause some drowsiness (or, at least it's supposed to) but we'll see.....luckily, she's the easiest one of the crew to convince to take it easy.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
she's on Tramadol and Rimadyl and that's it....the Tramadol will cause some drowsiness (or, at least it's supposed to) but we'll see.....luckily, she's the easiest one of the crew to convince to take it easy.....
I'm so glad to hear that she's home and doing well! :)

When Bentley was on Tramadol, it did make him drowsy but he was so determined to not settle down that he ended up damaging his cast and upsetting his broken bone even more. :rolleyes: I would think it'd be better for Tir though because her surgery is on her neck and I feel that would be a lot harder to hurt than a foot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts