Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this question has always been in the back of my mind...

To those of you who have experience with high energy breeds.
Let's say you have a dog who loves to FETCH like nothing else in the world matters. And another dog who's more inclined to play with other dogs once in a while; do some tricks every now and then; go for walks and sniff around... basically 'normal' in terms of doggie interests, for lack of a better word.

Which dog is easier to tire out?

In my mind, I've always thought "gosh, wouldn't it be EASY if my dog LOVED to play fetch! Then I could just throw balls for him all day, not have to wear him out by taking him here and there, having to deal with distractions etc." Basically, I think the more 'normal' dogs require a wider range of stimulation.

But I could be wrong. I've only ever had the one dog I have now.
Thoughts? :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Depends on the energy level of the dog. Some dogs tire out more easily than others. Our sheltie loves playing fetch and it's fairly easy to tire him out doing so. I know some dogs who could play fetch for hours and not be tired. I also know dogs who would be tired out from just a couple walks every day.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My BC is completely fetch obsessed... she never gets tired of it and I've met several other retrievers who are similar. Honestly, I think it's more stimulating (mentally) for me and her if I do things besides just throw the ball or Frisbee even if it might be "easier" from a purely physical standpoint to do just that. For my dog it's like she turns into the Energizer bunny when the ball comes out and keep going and going and going and I'm the one who ends up getting bored of it. But, I also have a border collie, which is a whole other animal. :)

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My BC is completely fetch obsessed... she never gets tired of it and I've met several other retrievers who are similar. Honestly, I think it's more stimulating (mentally) for me and her if I do things besides just throw the ball or Frisbee even if it might be "easier" from a purely physical standpoint to do just that. For my dog it's like she turns into the Energizer bunny when the ball comes out and keep going and going and going and I'm the one who ends up getting bored of it. But, I also have a border collie, which is a whole other animal. :)

Actually, you and your dog are what inspired me to ask this :D

And HerdersForMe, I completely agree with you. I guess I'm talking about a more theoretical point of view... I know in reality I could tire my dog out with fetch if he was interested in it. But he's not so much, so I have to do a variety of things with him every day so that he's worn out by the end.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Mia is a fetch fiend to put it lightly. Yeah it's easy to play fetch even when I was in an apartment with her. There's a flip side to that. I have never seen her so tired she would not play more fetch. Anecdotes just to give you an idea...

I took her out hiking then to a dog day festival thing where I was working with my rescue group and doing a meet the breed with papillons. 6 hours total. Came home (she slept the 5 mins in the car) then she grabbed her ball and started throwing it in my face.

A friend of mine was over one day and Mia brought the ball to him. he started throwing it for her absent mindedly and we got to watching a movie. It wasn't till three hours later I realized he was still throwing the ball for her and she was still racing after it. I had to make them stop. She was panting but still even after 3 hours she kept throwing the ball at us and screaming because she still wanted to play.

She will also chase the ball till she pukes or is way overheated. It's been over 100 almost all summer and I have to really watch. Her signs of being tired are very subtle. She'll just keep on going after the ball without a break at the same intensity as the first throw.

I've never known a dog that is so ball crazy. Of our five, Mia is the most ball crazy and the most energetic by FAR. There's also the fact you can't really rely on just the ball with a dog like her. She'd be completely obsessed (not like she isn't now). It's a fine line and I have to give her rules and things like that or she'd be throwing a ball in my face literally 24/7.

She's also just high strung in a lot of ways, though gaining some sense as she's gotten to be an adult. But as such, she's the hardest dog to tire out that we have. From a dead sleep if I say a word like 'tennis ball' or 'squirrel' she will be suddenly going as fast as most dogs are once you've tried to bring them up a bit. She's like 0 to 110 in an instant. In some ways it's easier than say Summer because Summer gets bored quicker, but on the other hand it's really not.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ah, no way! :) I will say that her fetch-obsession is nice when we go over to someone's house because we can basically sit on the deck (or wherever) and she'll bring us toys or balls or whatever to throw so we don't really have to be fully engaged. I've seriously thought about getting her one of those ball throwing things--like at batting cages--so she can play with it while I'm busy cooking dinner or something!

Mia is a fetch fiend to put it lightly. Yeah it's easy to play fetch even when I was in an apartment with her. There's a flip side to that. I have never seen her so tired she would not play more fetch. Anecdotes just to give you an idea...

I took her out hiking then to a dog day festival thing where I was working with my rescue group and doing a meet the breed with papillons. 6 hours total. Came home (she slept the 5 mins in the car) then she grabbed her ball and started throwing it in my face.

A friend of mine was over one day and Mia brought the ball to him. he started throwing it for her absent mindedly and we got to watching a movie. It wasn't till three hours later I realized he was still throwing the ball for her and she was still racing after it. I had to make them stop. She was panting but still even after 3 hours she kept throwing the ball at us and screaming because she still wanted to play.

She will also chase the ball till she pukes or is way overheated. It's been over 100 almost all summer and I have to really watch. Her signs of being tired are very subtle. She'll just keep on going after the ball without a break at the same intensity as the first throw.

I've never known a dog that is so ball crazy. Of our five, Mia is the most ball crazy and the most energetic by FAR. There's also the fact you can't really rely on just the ball with a dog like her. She'd be completely obsessed (not like she isn't now). It's a fine line and I have to give her rules and things like that or she'd be throwing a ball in my face literally 24/7.

She's also just high strung in a lot of ways, though gaining some sense as she's gotten to be an adult. But as such, she's the hardest dog to tire out that we have. From a dead sleep if I say a word like 'tennis ball' or 'squirrel' she will be suddenly going as fast as most dogs are once you've tried to bring them up a bit. She's like 0 to 110 in an instant. In some ways it's easier than say Summer because Summer gets bored quicker, but on the other hand it's really not.
Colby is EXACTLY the same way. I've never met a dog this ball obsessed, either.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Ah, no way! :) I will say that her fetch-obsession is nice when we go over to someone's house because we can basically sit on the deck (or wherever) and she'll bring us toys or balls or whatever to throw so we don't really have to be fully engaged. I've seriously thought about getting her one of those ball throwing things--like at batting cages--so she can play with it while I'm busy cooking dinner or something!

Colby is EXACTLY the same way. I've never met a dog this ball obsessed, either.
I don't even notice sometimes when I'm throwing the ball anymore- it's so ingrained in me. As I get ready for work in the mornings I kick the ball around for her. I can watch movies or make food and throw the ball at the same time too. It's just habit now.

Here's some of my favorite Mia ballfaces:

DSC_0619 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

11111 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

awesome by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

mia2 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wish mine would fetch!! I would love to play, but then again I know a few dogs that seem wired and obsessed and constantly drop the ball in front of you in a daze, I don't think I could stand that :) Mine is more of the throw the ball himself and get it and do it again type.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have one that will fetch and one that is not interested.

Neither of them get worn out by anything. But i can satisfy them both with enough mental and physical exercise.

However the ball obsessed one doesn't tire out just from playing ball all day. He still needs, training, walks, mind games.
For him ball catching is a mindless physical activity. He could physically go all day. Mentally working him is how he has to be tired out and same with the non ball obsessed dog.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Let's say you have a dog who loves to FETCH like nothing else in the world matters. And another dog who's more inclined to play with other dogs once in a while; do some tricks every now and then; go for walks and sniff around... basically 'normal' in terms of doggie interests, for lack of a better word.

Which dog is easier to tire out?
You have described our 2 dogs perfectly. Nico, the Dutch Shepherd doesn't know "tired", and Enzo, the little rescue we have is the "normal" dog. And for the record, I think that may be the first time I've used the word "normal" to describe Enzo - he is anything but normal. ;)

Nico is happy playing fetch (or anything involving a ball), playing tug, playing "seek", training - he is happy to do anything, anytime, so long as it involves interacting with my wife or I. From the standpoint of options, Nico is easier to tire out, but it takes longer. I can grab anything, absolutely anything and tell him to bite it, and he's happy to play with that. He will not voluntarily stop, we have to recognize it's been enough and quit.

Enzo has bad hips, so that factors in. He loves to chase the flirt pole, but that constant turning/cutting motion really irritates his hips, so we cannot do that with him. For Enzo it is fetch, walking, running, or training - any running really has to be straight line. He also likes to play tug, but not quite like Nico does. :) He will play until he's bored or tired, then sniff, lay down, etc.

I guess since we have had Enzo a while now and finally got him to play fetch, they are equally easy to tire out. At first, Enzo was very difficult to tire out because he didn't know how to fetch, and everything we were used to doing with Nico seemed to irritate his hips.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
With my Siberian it is a mix of physical exercise and mental stimulation. She won't play fetch but adores her flirt pole. She gets two long walks a day, plus flirt pole, training and puzzles.
Sierra tires easier than Misty and after the walk generally goes to sleep for a while and wakes up to chew on a treat ball . Some training and she is good for the day.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Loki is the fetch demon in this household. Atlas doesn't really care that much.

That being said, Loki is tired after about an hour of frisbee. He'll lay down in the shade and that's when I know he's done.

Atlas is MUCH harder to wear out because he doesn't run full out, he just kind of lopes around and smells things. I've only ever seen him lay down on a walk twice, and both times were after two hours of swimming at the lake.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, my lower energy dog is pretty easy to tire out even though her chasing a ball is a completely foreign concept to her. But I bike with her, off leash hike and things so just doing that is enough. Add that to her not caring if she misses a week (or a month) of doing things, she'll just sleep.

Traveler on the other hand could just never stop be it from fetch, swimming, hiking or running. I've been out and fetched with him in water for three hours where he would spend long extended periods of time never touching the ground. Content after? Yep. Ready for more? Oh yeah. It's a good thing he has the worlds best off switch

But for the most part I find fetch boring so we do a lot more hiking, biking and swimming which I think also has the bonus of being mentally stimulating as well.

So it's easier to tire Kaylee out but it's a lot more fun to work with Traveler.

Ball face

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I believe that very few dogs get 'tired' but get overheated first. For those folks who live in milder climates that get mild snow, I imagine that the dogs can play much longer than i the summer. The few times that it had snowed in Texas, without a miserable ice base, my 11 yo dog was happy to play for an hour.

I think that Fetching dogs are easier to exercise, but like Laurelin implied, you have to stop them after a fixed time, because they will overheat ... even in cold weather.

On the other hand, I walk my dog 30 min. once or twice a day ... even when it's 110 degrees outside. Then, after he cools off, I feed him, play with him in the backyard for 15 - 30 min., and go thru some training later on for abut 10 min. When he was younger, I also took him to a dog park with known friends to tussle with, once a week. .... And that seems to be enough.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

Both.

Just add mental components to each of their preferred activities. Mental exertion tires dogs out pretty fast.

When Wally gets all frisky - it's time to make him do some mental stuff. He's out for the next 3 hours.

Ball face

What a shot!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts