Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks, the 3 cats, dog and I will be moving into a "new" house. I put new in quotes because it's actually my old house where I lived with the cats a few years ago, but it will be totally new for Cobber. That's what I'm posting about.

He and I have lived in the current house since I got him at 8 weeks old last year, so while we've been on vacation a couple times, this will be his first time actually moving to a new living place.

I've been taking him over to that neighborhood to walk around there, so when we move there it won't be a total unknown. But that won't alleviate stress from the new house layout, new daily routine, etc.

I just wondered if anyone here who's moved with a dog has any particular tips that made things easier or reduced some of the stress the dog might be feeling. Cobber will still get to go to his favorite day care place every morning (M-F), so that will remain a nice constant. But I'm wondering if I should start out by crating him rather than trusting him out in the new house when he's there alone every afternoon?

Any suggestions welcome - thanks!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
We found that moving him over after everything was (mostly) set up, helped a lot. All our stuff was already there, everything smelled like 'his', just the layout was new. He had like, 2 accidents (we just started back with rewarding for pottying outside), and settled on day 3.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We took our previous dog to lots of vacation rentals, and also moved house with him four times. We found the best way to settle him in to the new houses was to ensure he had his bed set up, show him where the back door was, and give him a meal. We did put newspaper down when we left him but it was rarely used and he never once had an accident.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts