Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Echo is still only about 3 months old. Even though she's a larger breed, her nails are like little needles. The boxer half of her makes it to where she always leads with her front paws (which can get really painful if it's my husband and I that she's pawing).

We've been trimming her nails ourselves... we'd really like to do it ourselves rather than going to get them done professionally every time. I'd eventually like to start filing her nails as well. The problem is she won't stay still for me to do this. She doesn't like having her nails trimmed and is incredibly squirmy when having this done. We're always careful not to cut too deep, and have never had a incident with getting into the quick of the nail (so I know it's not fear charging her dislike).

Can anyone provide any tips for getting her to relax or stay still while we trim her nails? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try working with her when she is tired. Try holding her whole body and when she relaxs release her. When she gets good at that do it with each foot. Stretch the time out slowly and you may find one foot or toe is tickly and hard to handle and takes longer to train to be still. If you use calm praise it may help in time. Before using the clipper do that handling with each toe and practice touching the clipper or file to each toe. All this sounds long and drawn out but you can incorporate into all the other training involved with raising a civilized dog.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try working with her when she is tired. Try holding her whole body and when she relaxs release her. When she gets good at that do it with each foot. Stretch the time out slowly and you may find one foot or toe is tickly and hard to handle and takes longer to train to be still. If you use calm praise it may help in time. Before using the clipper do that handling with each toe and practice touching the clipper or file to each toe. All this sounds long and drawn out but you can incorporate into all the other training involved with raising a civilized dog.
Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try these techniques.

·
Registered
198 Posts
also check out this site. it explains the dremel and how to intro it to your dog. very helpful! :D

the main thing about nail trimming/clipping/filing is keep at it. while you're watching tv sit and play with the paws. manipulate her legs/paws. touch every toe, move every toe. consistently make feet a part of your interaction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might also try using Comfort Zone D.A.P. spray right before you start. Our dog hated having his nails trimmed, so we started taking him to the vet. They squirt a little of that, and it seems to calm him down while they work. It's either that, or he trusts them more than us! We order ours online through www.valleyvet.com. Our vet said they make plug-ins for dogs that get scared during storms, etc. Here is the link to where I get it:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=aab67327-b939-401f-9cd9-aee0bf8e57b6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts