Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a rescue who is about 1ish - around 13-16 months old. She is a small dog who likes to jump up when she meets people and I'd like to find ways to discourage her.

I'd appreciate tips or book references.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Have you tried turning your back when she jumps?
Another thing you can try is to ask for an "incompatible behavior", meaning something that she can't do if she continues to jump. For instance, she jumps on someone, and you immediately give her a command like "sit" or "down". If she wants to be rewarded for doing those commands, she has to stop jumping.
You could have her sit before she meets people, and if she doesn't sit, she doesn't get to meet them, and has to be removed from the area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Control the people who meet your dog. Don't let them interact with your dog for the first few minutes, no eye contact, talking, or touching. Just having them do this alone will cause your dog to calm down. Your dog will go into sniff mode for a few minutes, which is fine, it's like shaking hands for dogs. If your dog jumps on your guest, let your guest politely push your dog away.

If it's just on walks and stuff, not house guests, then its your responsibility. Your dog should be focused on you when outside, her pack leader. She shouldn't be straying off to say hello to everyone, unless you give her permission.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
See: Validity of ignoring jumping dogs ... a previous post in this forum.

Summary: Ignore the dog by stepping back and turning your back... even if the dog jumps on your back. When the dog plants all four feet on the ground, or sits (even better), then turn around and give the dog lots of attention, as a reward for doing the right thing. Reports are that it takes about 3 days. You may need to enlist some co-conspirators to also practice this method.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
See: Validity of ignoring jumping dogs ... a previous post in this forum.

Summary: Ignore the dog by stepping back and turning your back... even if the dog jumps on your back. When the dog plants all four feet on the ground, or sits (even better), then turn around and give the dog lots of attention, as a reward for doing the right thing. Reports are that it takes about 3 days. You may need to enlist some co-conspirators to also practice this method.
This.
The age of the dog doesn't matter. The only difference that makes is she has probably been allowed to get away with it longer so it's going to probably take a little longer to train the behavior out of her. The method, however, works regardless of the age of the dog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My puppy is 6mo old. She used to jump on people all the time. I just started with a new trainer and the jumping is all but gone. We practice no jumping activities here are a few:

Elevator game: hold a treat over your head and slowly lower it. If she jumps it goes back up. If she remains down she gets the treat. You have to go pretty fast in the beginning then as she gets better you go slower. Practice it in a down first, then sit, then standing.

Keep away: Put the leash on the dog and just hold it still. It almost works best if you tether the dog to something. Have someone walk up to the dog, if she does not jump they give the dog a treat. If the dog goes up on two legs they walk away. You have to make sure to hold the leash still, you don't want to pull the dog back. Keep repeating until the dog does not jump. As she gets better you practice it in a sit and a down.

Sit Stay Greet: This is definitely more advanced. We practice this when people come over. It helps to have a friend or neighbor that will help you practice. Your dog will have to know sit and stay. Put the dog in a sit / stay, have someone come in, if they remain seated the person can pet them. (you can click or treat for this also). If the dog jumps the person gets up and moves away, you'll have to have the dog leashed. I practice this when my boys have friends over. I give each one of them a treat and tell them to come into the house and pet the dog and give her a treat if she is sitting. If she jumps they walk on. Last week there were ten 13 year olds over so she got a ton of practice.

I like these training methods because they are so easy. It is hard to click and treat when the dog is being good because it is hard for them to know why you are clicking. I also have all four of my kids practice with the dog so she knows we all expect the same good behavior. When we are out and someone asks if they can pet the dog I say sure but she is in training so if she jumps on you we are going to walk away. They usually laugh and are happy to help you. I also bring her to the local pet store and train her with the employees. This is the ultimate distraction practice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts