Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 8 week old puppy was just dewormed and given his shots, resulting in diahrea, the vet sad that was probably going to last a few days to a week or so. I feed him on a schedule and take him out when he acts like he has to go, or every 3 hours. The only issue is, I believe that the feeling of diahrea comes on really fast and I don't have time to grab him and get him outside to use the bathroom in time sometimes.

Are there any tips on trying to potty train my puppy who has diahrea?

Also, he had a fever yesterday (took him to the vet again) and te vet told me to give him a certain amount of childrens benadryl, it is called childrens benadryl allergy, which is the only one i could find is that ok to give him?

·
Registered
591 Posts
yes that is the benadryl and for diahrea Ihave heard pumpkin works though I havent tried it . Unfortunatly like ANYONE with a bad case of the squirts they are hard to control and the best you can do is be prepared to clean ALOT . Get some natures miracle if you have spots on carpet of furniture you can't get out.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'd just keep him on an easily cleaned surface and take him out a lot. Some probiotics might help the diarrhea too.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Ask the druggist about children's benadryl for dogs (not the Pharm-Tech). You don't want to give mixed meds to a dog... some have aspirin, acetaminophen, epinephrine, etc. listed in the ingredients. Generic benadryl is Diphenhydramine... nothing else.

Pumpkin helps diarrhea, and plain, pureed, canned pumpkin with no other ingredients is harmless, maybe even healthy.

However, potty training assumes some amount of control, and diarrhea may occur with minimal control. You can attempt potty training, but keep expectations low and patience high for any progress until the pup has better control.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Poor pup and poor you! I'd take him out more than every 3 hours at this age, whether he had diahrrea or not. I'd also try a probiotic. I did that for a pup that had stomach issues and it helped some. I got a human probiotic - the kind you have to refrigerate once it's been opened.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the advice! I do usually take him out more than every three hours, but what I meant was at least every 3 hours. I am patient with him and understand accidents happen when you have diahrrea and so on. I just bought some organic pet odor/carpet cleaner for my house. He is a really good puppy, i feel bad that he has a fever and doesn't feel good, he won't eat very much except for this wet food the vet gave me. I might try the pumpkin too, I just wish he would eat his hard food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts