Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's just his nature, boredom, anxiety or something else but my dog Caswell has recently started to just obsessively lick objects as well as lick our other dogs tail or mouth.

His favorite items to lick seem to either be the floor (anywhere on the floor, he doesn't have a particular spot) or one of our dog beds (but again, no particular spot on the bed... just the bed).

The bed is easy to deal with... I've just sprayed it with bitter apple to discourage licking and when he DOES lick I just tell him no and offer him a chew toy instead. My concern is mostly with the floor and when he starts licking the asphalt outside. In both cases I'm worried he's going to hurt himself. Our floors are pretty old hardwood so some of the varnish is wearing off and he could easily cut his tongue on certain areas ... and obviously I don't want him getting asphalt in his mouth.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That level of obsessive licking represents a problem way beyond bitter apple spray. (And, assuming your dog does find it to be an offensive taste, is it really fair to make him taste bitter apple for 10-15 minutes because he licked once?) You need to take him to the vet to check for medical issues. Make sure he is getting enough exercise, at least an hour a day of walking, and enough play.

How do you train him and manage his behavior? If you're using punishment based methods, that could be adding to his stress.

There's also the possibility that he's OCD. OCD does occur in dogs. It is treatable with medication and behavior modification.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We must live in the same house. Boone licks the hardwood floors and licks our Brittany eyes and ears. He has lived with three other digs here but only licks her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm inclined (or perhaps just hopeful) to believe the root is boredom but there isn't much I can do to alleviate that. While I work from home I still work... I can't leave him outside both due to the heat here and that he's simply not well-behaved enough to trust unattended like that.

For punishment it's a mix. As long as he's just being a puppy it's a stern admonishment and usually I present him with an acceptable activity (like a chew toy instead of our socks) but he'll get the occasional slap on the nose when he's being particularly bad. I know there is as much controversy over physical force of any kind (just like with kids) so I'll just say that it is what it is and move on.

The thing that gets me... that makes me wonder if it IS just bordom is that there isn't really a pattern. He'll go hours or days without licking and then something triggers it and he just moves from object to object trying to get his fix. And he's got another dog here to play with if he gets so bored that he'd resort to mindless repetitive behavior. She's old... but not so old she won't play with him when he pounces on her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What kind of dog is it? Some breeds such as pit bulls lick a lot more than others. Also it is a dog so worrying about it getting asphalt in its mouth is a little ridiculous. Finally, amaryllis, posts in tons of threads all stating some human medical disorder and applying it to dogs. She will probably say that I am a bad dog owner but geez they are dogs and I have to say that OCD in a dog!!!!! Give me a break lady

·
Registered
64 Posts
My heeler licks non-stop, but only us, not objects and not other dogs. We Googled it when we first got him and it said it was a submissive thing so us getting annoyed with him only fueled it. My rattie licks the couch non-stop, sometimes my jeans, and other random stuff. We just tell him to stop and he does but I have worried its a vitamin deficiency or something but he's fed top of the line food so i doubt it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
What kind of dog is it? Some breeds such as pit bulls lick a lot more than others. Also it is a dog so worrying about it getting asphalt in its mouth is a little ridiculous. Finally, amaryllis, posts in tons of threads all stating some human medical disorder and applying it to dogs. She will probably say that I am a bad dog owner but geez they are dogs and I have to say that OCD in a dog!!!!! Give me a break lady
OCD can and does occur in dogs. and cats for that matter. Just like we have anxiety and depression so do dogs. Seriously, its not that uncommon. So before you go round saying give me a break maybe you should use google and get a little more well read on the subject.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts