Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have a 4 month old lab puppy we have decided to keep in the house. So far, it's been absolutely great. My husband will hunt with her all next winter, but I wanted a dog that will be ALL of ours - not just his. So, she's already housebroken - seriously, she's been wonderful. My questions are these:

1. How do you keep your house clean? It's rained all weekend and I'm not sure what to do with her when I let her out in the rain. I certainly don't want a wet dog running all over the house. I've been putting her in her crate in the garage until she dries off......but then, it's just time for her to go out again.

2. Pet hair - what sort of vacuum is best? My husband wants an Oreck. I think it's a LOT of money.

So, I guess I'm just looking for general tips on how everyone handles keeping dogs in the house. I'm, by NO mean, miss domestic - I work about 60 hours a week. So nice, simple things we can do to make it so you can't even tell a dog is in the house would be fantastic.

My husband keeps her with him at work during the day - so she doesn't stay in the house by herself all day.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Could you keep a towel by the door and just wipe her down when she comes in? Also if it is raining heavily, I put a raincoat on my dog. Really helps keeping the musty smell down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we do wipe her feet as she comes in. Wow - she hates that.

Never thought of a raincoat....Will have to look into that!

·
Banned
749 Posts
So, we have a 4 month old lab puppy we have decided to keep in the house. So far, it's been absolutely great. My husband will hunt with her all next winter, but I wanted a dog that will be ALL of ours - not just his. So, she's already housebroken - seriously, she's been wonderful. My questions are these:

1. How do you keep your house clean? It's rained all weekend and I'm not sure what to do with her when I let her out in the rain. I certainly don't want a wet dog running all over the house. I've been putting her in her crate in the garage until she dries off......but then, it's just time for her to go out again.

2. Pet hair - what sort of vacuum is best? My husband wants an Oreck. I think it's a LOT of money.

So, I guess I'm just looking for general tips on how everyone handles keeping dogs in the house. I'm, by NO mean, miss domestic - I work about 60 hours a week. So nice, simple things we can do to make it so you can't even tell a dog is in the house would be fantastic.

My husband keeps her with him at work during the day - so she doesn't stay in the house by herself all day.
I towel dry Lola off when she comes in from the rain. If you can get the dog to be by your side when walking in the rain a very large umbrella would help such as the golf type umbrellas. They can usually accommodate two people.

I have a Eureka Boss vacuum it works well but Bissell puts out a vacuum called Pet Hair eraser. I think Target sells it and you could also do review searches on it. But if you already have a vacuum you might want to save the money from buying a new one and after you vacuum try the Pledge Fabric Sweeper or the Scotch Fur Fighter

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Good for you for choosing to keep your dog in the house. I think dogs are happiest when they live with their families. I know several people with Master hunters that live in the house. :) As far as keeping the house clean, it takes a little more effort but it is certainly doable. Keeping your dog brushed will also keep down the dog hair in the house. I have wood floors and leather furniture because it is so much easier to clean up. I am not suggesting you change all that, just that it works for me. I think we make changes to make life easier for us. Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Towel drying, brushing, and gates help us alot here.

I have to wash my kitchen floor more often due to puppy paws, but at least it's mostly limited to the kitchen since she's still a "kitchen dog". I spend my time in the kitchen and the laptop sits on the table until dinnertime... Sophie's not lonely at all.

We have wood floors here as well, and even if Sophie's mostly in the kitchen with occasional whole house romps, we get lots of pet mess. There's Sophie, 3 cockatiels that produce feathers and dander and seeds, and there's our long haired cat. I get fur buffalo and should vacuum at least 3 times a week (notice I said SHOULD). I actually vacuum only about once a week because that's when the dust buffalo start "stampeding". The dust balls start rolling around the edges of the walls and corners UGH!

I have a central vac so I can't help you with the choice of vacuum cleaners. My stairs and upper floor is carpeted and I do use the motorized parts for that (it's actually a stair sized piece that is air driven to turn just like the big power heads) I suggest that if you have carpeted stairs, to get an attachment for stairs, they're really great.

I find that brushing is the best cleaner in the world though... even shorthaired dogs shed, and the more the brushing, the less the hair. Besides, a well brushed dog doesn't hang on to doggy hair odor so long. Doggy odor will also depend on diet.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Orecks are too light to work on pet hair (I know from experience). If you're going to spend that much, do yourself a favor and get a Dyson. They're the best.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If I waited until my dog was dry before letting her in the house she would never be in the house during wet weather! I keep one of her towels by the door when it's wet outside and dry her off when she comes in. If it's muddy out, I dunk her paws in a bowl of water and dry them off.

But the best tip I have for keeping the mess under control is putting a good quality rug at every door -- a good sized one that gives you working room (e.g. 4x6). We have oriental rugs and thick padding by all three doors. They're thick enough to take a lot of dirt and wear and clean up beautifully. We just vacuum them regularly, shake them out once in a while, and have them professionally cleaned every 6-12 months. I've used cheaper rugs in the same spots and they were almost useless in helping to keep the dirt contained. And I had to replace them after only 1-2 years, so in the end they weren't cheaper at all. I'll never have to replace the orientals -- they will long outlast me!

RE the vacuum, we're real happy with our Royal. It picks up pet hair beautifully. The attachments are awkward to use, though, which is why I'm going to get a backpack vac for cleaning stairs, moldings, etc.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
So, we have a 4 month old lab puppy we have decided to keep in the house....My questions are these:

1. How do you keep your house clean?
We don't.

I have a heavy duty, Sanitaire commercial vacuum and a shop vac. Many people recommend the Dyson Animal as the best (certainly not cheap though). Any way you go, by this time next year, you too will consider pet hair to be one of the major food groups. Why fight it? Why try?

·
Registered
233 Posts
make sure you vacuum often, and use a dyson, theyre the best! also if you get a dyson from target, you geta 75 dollar gift card to use there, so its sort of a discount/ at least you can use that money for other things. make sure the dog's items are all in air tight containers, especially food and things like collars/jackets (clean these before putting them in) , that will reduce the vague/slight dog smell in the house. ANd then of course make sure your dog is bathed regularly and keep her clean/smelling good while also making sure the house is getting good ventilation. I have a dog and its a lot of work but a lot of people are surprised to see her since there is almost no smell in here!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
we have three dogs in the house. they are allowed to run through the house wet but ONLY if it's clean wet. if they get muddy they get hosed off and then they shake off and come in the house. (we have a nice house too so some people are shocked to learn about wet dogs running around in it)

we have a dyson pet. it works very well for aussie fur.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have the Bissell Pet Hair version, and I DO NOT recommend it. In fact, mine is dead right now, the hair killed it. Of course I do have four heavily shedding dogs in the house plus two cats, but still, I was never impressed with it. I'm borrowing a Kirby from a friend right now and I like it, especially the shampooing attachment, but it's heavy and expensive. I do think it would be worth the money to invest in a good vacuum with a shampooing attachment though.

For muddy/rainy days, I crate them when they come in until they dry off...haven't mastered towel drying four dogs at the door yet...but for muddy prints on the linoleum, I like the swiffer wet jet. Other products I like are febreeze and clorox anywhere spray, and I keep a couple of lint rollers around too, one in the house and one in the car.

Lastly, frequent brushing helps keep shedding down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts