Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 year old pomeranian that has been slowly losing bladder control. It has gotten to where during the day I can not give him water inside I have to give him water outside when I put him out to pee for 10 minutes every 3 or 4 hours or else he will pee. I also have to give him no water 4 hours before bed or else he often pees himself in his sleep, but he has not lost complete control because for a couple months now he starts whining after being in his pen for only 5 hours at night. I let him out around 3 a.m. to go pee and sometimes he'll sit there and look at me like, "what are we doing?". Does anyone have tips on how to get it to where he can stay inside at least 6 hours at night or any help? I can't just let him sleep outside he barks constantly no matter what I do if he knows I am around and can hear him.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Would he be interested in a puppy pee pad or a doggie diaper for overnight? Just a thought. I personally, would try those other two things. Has he seen a vet for this lately? As long as he has seen a vet and is cleared of any other health issues I would try the pee pad first. They are supposed to have a scent that attracts them to potty on it. Bless his little heart. He is a ripe old age poor little guy. I would call the vet if you haven't seen one in a while to be sure it isn't infection or something else. :)

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
No solid suggestions, but:
1. Ask the Vet if it may be a bladder or kidney infection, common at that age. And ask about incontinence.
2. You might find a diaper that will fit him with a few minor mods for his tail.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Does he seem to drink more? Pant more randomly even when not exercising? Seem very hungry? If so, you might want to have him tested for Cushings?
Sometimes older dogs will get incontinent. There are meds for that. A doggie door can be a godsend.
Older dogs are more prone to UTI's.
Get a geriatric vet check including blood workup.

I wouldn't want to limit water intake, as elderly dogs often will not drink enough and can get dehydrated, which can be very hard on their bodies, as they have a harder time regulating body temp as they age.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Older dogs can have issues with incontinance but I would have a vet check him over to make sure that there isn't a medical issue such as a UTI causing the problem. I have a friend who's old dog was on a medication that helped a great deal with this problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have been to the vet. He has incontenance and isn't attracted to pee pads or even grass. He totally doesn't care where he goes anymore except he'll try not to pee in his pen which is why he stays in his pen during the night and doesn't roam the house or else he'd pee and poo all over it :(. I can't afford diapers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I tried some meds the vet gave me, but they didn't work :( and he said there's no other problem with him besides cateracs (can't spell) and the incontinence.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm glad you've seen the vet. There are so many medical conditions that could be involved. If your vet didn't do full bloodwork, I would ask for that (but if you can't afford diapers . . . ) another possibility is that he's getting a bit senile. You can make him a belly band yourself with a bit of cloth and some velcro, and use a sanitary napkin in it (be sure to change it frequently, of course.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts