Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I was away for two weeks visiting my parents and came back to my mess of a pup! She somehow hurt her leg and has a funny stiff legged walk going on. I took her to the vet and got some pain medication with instructions to rest her for a week. So she is only eight months old and full of energy. Does anyone have any good tips on how to keep her happy in the house for a week???

I usually take her to the park and for walks every day, but now she can't even go out in the yard to play... I actually went through this about two months ago with her other leg and because it was so hard for me to keep her contained, it took about three weeks for her to recover. We are taking her with us on vacation on the 11th and I am really hoping to have her in shape again so she can come out and enjoy it with us.

So if anyone has gone through this with a high energy dog or puppy before, any advice/tips/games/whatever you can think of would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Go buy some feeding and puzzle toys. The only thing you can do us work her brain, so stuffed frozen kongs, raw bones, puzzle toys, etc. you could also train focus- look at me, long down stays, doggy zen (that's a sticky around here). Otherwise, long petting sessions, crating and tethering. Sorry, even as a human enforced rest sucks. After 2 weeks of rest from abdominal surgery, I was completely crazy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What sort of injury are we talking about? How did it happen? Has your pup been crate trained?

I have not had a young pup with a leg injury but did have a 6 year old Border Collie with an ACL rupture. As soon as the stitches came out I had her swimming every day to rebuild and strengthen the muscles around the joint.

If it is a joint injury then swimming will take the weight off the joint whilst you exercise the muscles. You need to get in knee deep with the dog and just hold the tail whilst she swims next to you. Start with just 5 minute sessions a couple times a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts