Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Tips / Advice needed on Cocker Spaniel

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  lisaj1354 
#1 ·
im from india, i have a male cocker spaniel whos gonna be 2years old this winter 2011.
is this the time for their breeding?
do they pee a lot during rainy days / monsoon?

he stays indoors at our flat appartment, but the thing is we dont take him outside for walk, coz of street dogs , fearing they would attack him and Theres not even a park nearby. So once a week we take him on the roof of our flat for 10-15minutes. is that enough for his exercise?
is there any worry if he doesnt get proper exercise.

i have also heard if they dont walk on rough surface their legs may go numb or sumthing in future.
is that true? we have marbel floors in our flat. but on roof theres rough surface.

And we hardly comb/brush him bcoz we hardly get time ... only we give him a close haircut with a machine after 3 months, But recently found out theres some fungus on his back , which grows mainly in monsoon season. So will that lead to skin desease in future if not done anything immidiately? thanx

#2 ·
is this the time for their breeding?
No.

do they pee a lot during rainy days / monsoon?
Yes.

is that enough for his exercise?
No.

is there any worry if he doesnt get proper exercise.
Yes.

i have also heard if they dont walk on rough surface their legs may go numb or sumthing in future.
is that true?
No.

So will that lead to skin desease in future if not done anything immidiately?
Yes.

#3 ·
Taking your dog out for 10 minutes once a week is border line cruelty.

I understand that it is not safe to walk in the streets because of the stray dog population. However, you need to come up with an alternative. Even if it means driving an hour to take him somewhere to walk, you must do it.

There are lots of concerns because he isn't getting proper exercise (and IMO, any exercise). Lots of health problems not to mention behavioral issues.

You don't have time to brush your dog? Why did you get a Cocker Spaniel then? If you are not willing to properly groom him, take him to a professional groomer. If that is not an option than I think you should consider rehoming your dog. Its not fair to him.

Regarding the fungus, you need to see a Vet. Immediately. Yes, this will lead to skin disease and be very painful for him. The Vet will be able to prescribe proper treatment and explain preventative measures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.