Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly as the title states. I have a rott mix who for some unknown reason tips over her food bowl whenever she will not eat the food in it. I'm just curious as to why is she doing this? I know that some dogs generally tip over their food bowl while they're eating but she only does this when she doesn't want it. Its not just a recent thing, but nor does she do it often. Any help? :(

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Exactly as the title states. I have a rott mix who for some unknown reason tips over her food bowl whenever she will not eat the food in it. I'm just curious as to why is she doing this? I know that some dogs generally tip over their food bowl while they're eating but she only does this when she doesn't want it. Its not just a recent thing, but nor does she do it often. Any help? :(
Some dogs will attempt to hide uneaten food, would help to know your feeding program. If it's full time feeding or you are picking food up after 10 minutes or so. Definitely if she does not want the food pick up the pan and wait 24 hours and try again with the same program.

Let me rephrase, If I had a dog dumping food that is the way I would handle problem. 2 or 3 days and a normal healthy dog will/should finish the food.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yeah, what wvasko said - usually it means 'I don't want this right now, maybe I'll come back to it, later'. My persnickety dog does this OFTEN if his food is down for more 15 minutes. As it stands, he still only eats about every other day, but he maintains his weight so I've given up caring.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Yeah, what wvasko said - usually it means 'I don't want this right now, maybe I'll come back to it, later'. My persnickety dog does this OFTEN if his food is down for more 15 minutes. As it stands, he still only eats about every other day, but he maintains his weight so I've given up caring.
Yes that old saying applies, "Lead horse to water but can't make him drink" The main problem is the people who will panic and think that's being inhumane etc etc etc. That's fine it's their dogs and their problems. Plain and simple, healthy dogs just don't starve themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts