Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I picked up my pom at 10 weeks and she is a late bloomer. She was not yet a pound and a half and her coat was not as full as her litter mates. The breeder is experienced and very reputable. All her pups have been within breed standards,[ I met all her sires and dams and had video daily of the litter] but she admitted she has not had a pup this small. Now little ulu had a growth spurt and gained 9 ounces in 1 week alone and is now 14 weeks and doing great. My question is does anyone have any knowledge regarding her coat. It is fuller but still not great [ I put down my 15 year old pom last year and her coat was typical of the breed even as a puppy]. I don't care if it stays a little sparse and she is now charting to be well over 3lbs [maybe almost 4lbs] so I am thinking she just needed more time to develop it but I have not personally had this experience in the past.
Thanks for any info.

ps. I realize this is breed specific but to be honest I have not found a reputable breeder who can answer this and I am not contacting the fake online "teacup" puppymills.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Talk to a vet who has puppy experience and who works with breeders. Puppies can have congenital issues such as liver shunts and other issues that can cause smallness (but not always) and poor hair coat (that may simply be a hair coat genetic flaw). I would take her to a vet with that puppy experience. I do not know where you live, but if you really want to know, a veterinary college might be a better source of information.

It may be nothing, but an overly small puppy when compared to siblings is always cause for some concern even if they do catch up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have a small animal vet who happens to have a very tiny pom [ on record as the smallest in Canada]. It was not his choice either, lol. His pup took 2 years to get a nice coat.[his pup stayed small, mine is just delayed and will get into the low middle of the breed standard] My pup will be starting her "uglies" soon so I will see how that goes. I have had vet bills in the thousands with hunting breeds in the past so I am prepared to accept any physical challenge although she is so far very sound in body and spirit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My pom had a horrid coat at around 13+ weeks for a while. He was undercoat only for a while!

He doesn't have that big thick 'show pom' coat, but it's a pretty coat and SUPER easy to deal with grooming wise (unlike the big show coats)

He's also pretty small. At a good weight he's 3.8 pounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's adorable!!! Mine is similar, just fuller on the neck area. I wouldn't mind a bit if her coat is less than full for the same reason's. I have a solid black but my old girl was an orange sable. Funny I wanted a different colour than my last and it is winter so she is visible but at night I will never see her. lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts