Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 week old puppy & she has been really good about potty training. We got her a few weeks ago & since then she will tinkle outside or on the puppy pad. She hasn’t had a accident in almost 3 days! ?? Anyway the other day she was sleeping next to me & she was clearly having a dream & then I felt really warm so I got up & noticed she tinkled on me! The first week we got her we had noticed she had peed on a blanket, thinking it was because she wasn’t potty trained yet. Is this normal? Did anyone else’s puppies do this?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Like human infants and toddlers, puppies don't have full physical control of their bladders (most pups develop that by about 6 months). So no matter how on top of your housebreaking you are, you really can't consider a puppy fully potty trained until that time. So it could simply be her bladder muscles need to develop a little more.

That being said, urinating in their sleep can be a sign of urinary infection. So keep an eye on her - if these symptoms continue or you see other problems like urinating more often, squatting without peeing, or lethargy/change in eating or drinking habits, get her right in to see a vet. If you've got a vet appointment soon for vaccines or whatnot, definitely bring it up just in case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. Yeah I figured she wouldn’t fully be potty trained for a couple months but I’m shocked at how well she’s doing! My other dog wasn’t potty trained until she was like almost a year old. I wish I had brought it up to the Vet last week.. I’ll for sure bring it up at her next vaccinations. She doesn't have any other symptoms. She’s super playful. She squats when she pees & has clear urine. So hopefully no urinary tract infection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts