Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, my grandparents got a new dog from the SPCA. She is about a year old, 25-ish pounds, curly tail, very cute puppy. My grandparents' old dog, who died in December, was hyper, friendly, a total people dog. She was sweet, but crazy high energy. They loved her. This new dog is basically the opposite of that. She is laid back, lazy, and shy. She will lay on her bed all day and flip over on her back whenever you approach her. She is sweet, but timid. She does not get up to greet people, she does not want to always be with you, she will not even get up and play. Supposedly, she plays like crazy outside, but she is very laid back inside.

Do you think she was abused? Are there actually dogs that really do not want to be around people? Could she be just a really laid back dog? Do you think maybe she is just taking a while to adjust? I know you all do not know Sandy, and there is no way of knowing her past, but I am just looking for thoughts and opinions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I would bet that she was abused.

It could be that just being in a new home has got her scared and it will take her time to adjust.

If she was abused it may even take longer for her to ajust and realize that you are not going to hit her, It took my Coonhound about 2 years to get out of her shy and scared stage, but now she put all of her trust in me.

Just go easy on her and try not to force new things on her, let her go at her own pace.

In time she will be a happy joyful and active dog if you work with her.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Funny my first family dog is called Sandy and was the same way when we adopted her at five months old. She was timid and shy, but friendly. She never showed any aggression but was clearly pretty nervous of people. The vet told us she was most likely abused because she was very hand shy and would roll right over when approached.

She quickly warmed up to the family, but was still nervous if we moved to quickly or when new people came over. We did a lot of treat training as she was highly motivated by treats. We had all our guests give her treats throughout their time at our house. She very quickly became less nervous and timid.

She's 15 now and not an ounce of timidness. She has never been the kind of dog to climb up in your lap or want to cuddle all the time, but she is very friendly and will lay next to you for belly rubs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I wouldn't say she was necessarily abused. Possible, but not necessarily definitive just because of she is exhibiting this type of behavior. All dogs are different and have different personalities. I have seen this first hand, with my two who have had the exact same up bringing...and they are completely different.

Snuggles makes agood point. How long has she been there?

Funny my first family dog is called Sandy and was the same way when we adopted her at five months old. She was timid and shy, but friendly. She never showed any aggression but was clearly pretty nervous of people. The vet told us she was most likely abused because she was very hand shy and would roll right over when approached.
I had a dog not too long ago (GABI) that was NOT abused, but was terribly afraid of new people. Very hand shy until she got to know you...or until I was out of the room :) . It is important to remember, this type of behavior doesn't necessarily mean they have been physically abused. Perhaps they were simply undersocialized?

My dog Roe is fearful of men and is very hand shy with men ONLY...until she gets to know them. She has never had a voiced raised at her, much less been abused.

I think people are too quick to say a dog has been abused based on shy or timid behavior.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has been there a little over a month. She doesn't really seem scared (she wags her tail and will lay her head on your lap), just timid and not too friendly.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I had a dog not too long ago (GABI) that was NOT abused, but was terribly afraid of new people. Very hand shy until she got to know you...or until I was out of the room :) . It is important to remember, this type of behavior doesn't necessarily mean they have been physically abused. Perhaps they were simply undersocialized?

My dog Roe is fearful of men and is very hand shy with men ONLY...until she gets to know them. She has never had a voiced raised at her, much less been abused.

I think people are too quick to say a dog has been abused based on shy or timid behavior.
Well Sandy had 2 strange bruises on her gums the day we adopted her and the vet said it looked like she was kicked...I think that more why we thought she was abused. (meant to mention that actually...)

Bridgette is very timid around men and takes much longer to warm up to them. She also gets hand shy sometimes, but I doubt she was abused.

I would actually agree that people assume abuse too quickly with all nervous dogs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
She has been there a little over a month. She doesn't really seem scared (she wags her tail and will lay her head on your lap), just timid and not too friendly.
Give it more time. It took Gabi a few months to really come out of her shell. I wouldn't make any definitive comments or acclimations that she was previously abused. Just look forward :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts