Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is about 9 weeks now...I know a puppy this young is going/can be totally out of control. When we play, especially when I come home from work, she's like the devil puppy biting and snarling. And she bites HARD. I always replace my fingers or toes with one of her toys, but she still always goes right for my fingers. Should I be putting her in "time out" to let her know this is unacceptable? I've tried spraying water on her when she does this, but she could care less. I am ok with just dealing with it until she gets older, but I don't want her to think this is acceptable....she's just trying to play. If I do put her in "time out", where's a good place? I don't want to put her in her crate as I want her to associate that as her good place.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
A timeout isn't a really useful correction for a pup. The pup doesn't sit in the crate (or whatever you use) thinking, "I'm here because I bit my mom." Now timeouts are very useful for giving you a break before you lose your patience (hey, it happens. We're only human) or for giving a puppy that's too would up a chance to settle down a bit.

There are a couple ways to deal with those puppy bites both of which include ending the play session. One is to yelp as if she hurt you and break off play, totally ignoring her for a short period of time. This is basically what her littermates did. The other is to act more like her mama did and tell her no, in a very firm but low voice (so that it sounds kind of growly) and offering an appropriate chew toy. Then, if she keeps it up, giving her a firm but age and size appropriate scruff shake and then ignoring her for a few seconds before giving her another chance. And don't forget to praise her if she makes the correct choice and takes the chew toy instead of your hand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's a great thread on here about teaching bite inhibition. I believe it's in this forum.

Yes, I just looked. It's a sticky called "the Bite Stops Here"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts