Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is too long for a 3 month old puppy to spend in a crate in sat a 24 hr period? And I don't mean like at one (he's never in there more than 4 hours at a time, and he sleeps at night with me... usually). But I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It really depends on the puppy, generally we try to keep it to no longer than 4-5 hours at a time but have gone as long as 8 with the puppy being just fine.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I guess it really depends on whether they can actually sleep while in the crate or if they're going to be disturbed/awakened every half hour (phone ringing, people knocking on the door all day, etc.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really depends on the puppy, generally we try to keep it to no longer than 4-5 hours at a time but have gone as long as 8 with the puppy being just fine.
Yea hes never in there more than that at a time (unless i have to put him there at night). I guess I'm wondering how much in a day overall is too much. I know he as to be in there when I can't watch him, but its been a particularly busy weekend and I'm feeling a bit guilty.

I guess it really depends on whether they can actually sleep while in the crate or if they're going to be disturbed/awakened every half hour (phone ringing, people knocking on the door all day, etc.)
How long should he sleep each day? Is it kosher to put him in there at night when I need him to settle down before bed or when I simply need a break? There are tomes where I just cant watch him, but also dont want to abuse the crate.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I wonder about this too (not to "steal" your thread LOL) Our trainer told us that our pup should be sleeping up to 18 hours a day (she is 6 months) that sounds like alot...but when I break it down to her 8hrs at night, that leaves 16 hrs left in the day. I would probably say she does sleep alot if you include the time she snoozes while we are eating, watching tv or just when she is having her quiet time in the kennel (because she is not housetrained yet :confused:)...I am wondering what others say about this as well?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
How long should he sleep each day?
Puppies often sleep 20 hours a day. Adult dogs will sleep 16-18 hours. Dogs 'need' about 11-12 hours of sleep a day...but, this will all depend on the amount of exercise, daily activities of the household, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmm....well my 9 week old puppy is in there 8-9 hours at night, and he naps in there during the day for an hour here and there. So I'd say in a 24 hour period, he's in there 11-12 hours. Gosh, when I type that out, it seems like a lot! But he's doing just fine and seems like a happy pup. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
ISaidNoSprinkles - I know how you feel. I have to put Stardust in the crate at times when I'm doing my projects, even though I know she won't/may not bother me, but because I don't want to have to keep an eye on her every 5 minutes to make sure she's not at the door. It has been over a week since her last pee pee accident (she had one minor poop accident tonight, but that's kind of my fiance's fault as he didn't leave her out long enough to do the 2nd business...it happens!). I find myself putting her in there for a couple hours, then take her out for about an hour, then back in the crate for another couple hours, etc.

So, she does seem to be alright. Your puppy is a little younger than mine, so I assume that it will get better over time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ISaidNoSprinkles - I know how you feel. I have to put Stardust in the crate at times when I'm doing my projects, even though I know she won't/may not bother me, but because I don't want to have to keep an eye on her every 5 minutes to make sure she's not at the door. It has been over a week since her last pee pee accident (she had one minor poop accident tonight, but that's kind of my fiance's fault as he didn't leave her out long enough to do the 2nd business...it happens!). I find myself putting her in there for a couple hours, then take her out for about an hour, then back in the crate for another couple hours, etc.

So, she does seem to be alright. Your puppy is a little younger than mine, so I assume that it will get better over time.
I just hate leaving him in there like that all the time, but I guess I have to do what I have to. (If I don't graduate, neither one of us will be eating very well.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts