Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I searched the potty threads, but this seems more like a behavior/potty combo. So:

Male 14 wk old GSD mix. Does well through the night in the crate, one walk at about 4 a.m. (plan to do the whole night starting next week) no whining

More gradual day crate training. Because we both work, we put him in a 6'x4' indoor pen during the day on weekdays. Return home around noon to feed and walk, play if time. Does well in the crate in the evening if we're around. Of course he's out of the crate a lot, too.

Yesterday and today he went on a rampage, twice, in the pen, tearing up the pee pad and just having a good 'ol time -- it's on camera. Never did this before. Gets a lot of exercise in the later afternoon and evening, a little in the morning if time permits.

Time to risk the crate during the day for 3-3.5 hours? Or?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I'd crate him without pee pads.

He's a big lively breed. He will likely climb right out of a play pen soon anyways and have a nice destructive romp around the house. Since he gets a midday outside potty break, no worries about him having to hold it too long health-wise. Pee pads at this point are just likely to delay potty training and/or become something to shred and maybe eat (not safe).

Since you mention "a lot of exercise", be careful that you are not overdoing physical exercise to the detriment of growing and developing joints. Mental exercise is important too and physical exercise should be low impact and free form (not repetative). Tiring him out physically is not the way to go in search of calmness. Calmness is training and maturity/time.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have a dog (year old) cannot have anything in his kennel (and it is a 5'x10' kennel) other than a water dish (anchored), a Jolly Ball, a Big Nyla Bone and/or Meaty Beef Neck Bone and/or Large Kong stuffed with Raw dog Food that has been frozen.. that is IT. He is on concrete. He pees on Concrete (but it is easy to clean up). I cannot even have vinyl flooring under him.. he will tear it up. No bed. Nothing else.

His Mother is the same way.

Your dog is simply playing. Give him a jolly ball and get rid of the pee pads. Hope he is on a hard surface so it's easy to clean up. If you are gone only 4-5 hours I also suggest that part of the time you leave him in a crate. This just gives him a sense of structure and can be very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2,928 Posts
I think he will be fine being crated. 4 hours is reasonable for a puppy that age, and a break at midday is perfect. If you can do that, he doesn't need pee pads anymore. It's not really a behavior issue, per se, just a puppy being a puppy. If tears up his crate bed or whatever, it is okay to leave him in a bare crate until he grows out of that stage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts