Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs are inside pets, but they enjoy being outside. We've just moved to a new house and don't currently have the money to put up fencing :( I was wondering if there is any way to tie out the 2 dogs for a few hours at a time and have them close enough to play without being tangled?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think so. There's just too much that could go wrong in that situation. If it were me, they would be close enough to touch noses, nothing else. If the tie outs even cross once, they could strangle to death trying to pull away from each other.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you put the ties outs far enough apart so the clips from both just barely touch each other, then the dogs will still be able to play but they won't be able to tangle. :)

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
I don't think so. There's just too much that could go wrong in that situation. If it were me, they would be close enough to touch noses, nothing else. If the tie outs even cross once, they could strangle to death trying to pull away from each other.
Both dogs should only be tied out on harnesses, never collars. I agree though that tangling up could get them hurt, but its more likely to catch a leg, fairly unlikely to strangle either dog if they're on harnesses. Obviously they should be supervised while on a tie-out.
I wouldn't encourage them to play while on a fixed tie-out; you can tie them out at a distance enough that they can't get tangled so they can just hang out outside or you can have them wear drag lines if their recall is strong and you aren't too close to a road.

You could consider using farm fencing to create a play area. 4 ft tall, 50 ft length roll of sturdy cattle woven wire fencing is about $25-30 at Lowes/HD/farm stores. Use the metal stakes made for it to set off 25 ft length sides. 2 rolls, 8 stakes (4 corners, 4 middle posts) should cost about $100-120. When you have the money for a regular full fence, it is easy to take down and either stored (good for separating a garden area for example) or sold on craigslist.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You are going to pay $50 + for 2 harnesses, leashes and wire so I would go the extra and as above, put up a temporary fence.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You could consider using farm fencing to create a play area. 4 ft tall, 50 ft length roll of sturdy cattle woven wire fencing is about $25-30 at Lowes/HD/farm stores. Use the metal stakes made for it to set off 25 ft length sides. 2 rolls, 8 stakes (4 corners, 4 middle posts) should cost about $100-120. When you have the money for a regular full fence, it is easy to take down and either stored (good for separating a garden area for example) or sold on craigslist.
I just did something similar at our house, which we're renting so I don't want to invest in fencing. I'd never leave Molly alone in the area, although it's pretty secure, but it provides a great, safe place for some off leash play time.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You could get a couple of x-pens and hook them together, creating a decent play space for them (one makes for a very small space). Just make sure it's tall enough so they can't jump over it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts