Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gearing up to take Loki in for his heartworm test and get him started on Heartgard (as we always do at this time of year). This year though, I'm wanting to put him on something for ticks. We moved into a more wooded area (still urban) but lots more trees, etc. I don't do the Lyme vaccine but I do want to give him something as a preventative.

I did my research and came up with Frontline Plus... told my vet... and was told it isn't available in Canada? So what are the Canadians using then? The vet recommended K-9 Advantix but I don't know much about it (except it's completely toxic to cats... which is great since we have 2)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not from Canada, but I've tried K9 advantix II on my dog for two months, it's supposed to repel ticks (as well as kill them), but I was still picking live ticks feeding off my dog. Advantix is a waste of money IMHO. Now I'm looking into natural methods for tick controll instead of using toxic poisons from Heartz, Advantix (Bayer), Frontline, and others on my dog.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not from Canada, but I've tried K9 advantix II on my dog for two months, it's supposed to repel ticks (as well as kill them), but I was still picking live ticks feeding off my dog. Advantix is a waste of money IMHO. Now I'm looking into natural methods for tick controll instead of using toxic poisons from Heartz, Advantix (Bayer), Frontline, and others on my dog.
Good to know - thanks for the feedback! I'm also looking at alternate methods, such as Diatomaceous Earth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts