Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really frustrated because the woman we adopted our basset from said that she gave the dog an advantix treatment a little less than 2 weeks ago, but I keep finding ticks on her. I'm going to lose my stuffing soon!! Luckily where I live the ticks do not give diseases typically but I'm thinking this must be very annoying for her. It's disgusting to me. Could they be in my yard? How do you treat your yard? What can I do for my dog? I don't want to overload her system since she already had advantix. YIKES!! HELP!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My understanding is that you can go to your local pet store and purchase things specific for treating ticks on both your pet and back yard that you can do your self. Also ask your Vet if you have not done so, but don't wait to long as this might not feel so good on your pet. Good luck!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can treat you yard with some environment friendly pesticide so that it will be safe for your dog too. You can have the option of using a tick collar on your dog or topical products like Frontline, Revolution, Advantix, and bioSpot that's to be applied monthly for tick prevention. Also, you may want to do a routine check on your dog and remove the ticks before they attach to your pet. Keep you grass mowed and your plants neatly trimmed too.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you live in the country, get some free-roaming guineas. They eat ticks like crazy, and are usually smart enough not to get eaten (unlike chickens, who also eat ticks, but are more likely to get themselves killed).

If that's not an option, try a Preventic collar. I've never had any success using a spot-on for tick control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Willowy, thank you so much for the suggestion. I wish I lived in the country as that's where I grew up, but alas I married a city man. What is a spot on? What are you talking about?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Oops, sorry! A "spot-on" is a topical product, such as Advantix or Frontline. They work fine for fleas but just aren't 100% against ticks. Preventic collars are good for that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I may have to look into Preventic.

We have tried every kind of "spot-on" on the planet (feels like), and still been involved in tick wars all summer.

I like the idea of non-toxic yard treatment. There are lots of pasture critters that find their way into the yard. I will look into that.

I am not sure there are few things I despise more on this planet than ticks. Argggg!

Edit: I have never put anything toxic in the yard anyway because of the dogs. Duh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts