Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well I need to know everything recently switch to raw and I know allthose chemical are bad do I use and how about the shots?? Please just want the best for his well beinging.. thank u guys I'm new also lol most cost affective way tho SAFELY

·
Registered
583 Posts
Could you give more information about your dog?

Vet history, age , weight, breed and any other info that may be helpful?

oldhounddog

·
Registered
583 Posts
To continue ,

There are members here that feed a raw diet that will give you helpful information on how to make sure your dog gets the needed vitamins and minerals needed for a balanced raw diet. There is also a sticky in the Dog Food forum , and , that is the best place to get specific help with feeding needs.
........................................................................................................

Basic info:( This is what I do.)
Pups need a Vet check up to start life , puppy shots , worming several times , first dog shot and 30 days later a rabies vac. Now to me this is the bare minimum. Do not let pup have contact with other than mother and litter mates until all shots are given. First visit to Vet do not put dog on ground/grass at office.(hand carry in and out)

As for Heartworm prevention I start all my dogs on the HW meds between 4 and 5 months age. (always before 5 mos age)
I use Frontline plus on all dogs starting at about 4 mos age as per need/season.

This is about all I can think of for now without more info on your dog.

BTW , Welcome to DF.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's 1yr 1/2 he's a english bulldog/ austrlian shepard.. sorry Idk how to spell that breed lol..he's 63 pounds and all up to date on his shots but.. I read using frontline, and the other ones are bad and I needed to use a all natural thing?... He's been moving up in weight since his raw diet started:) ill have a pic soon and thank u very my much

·
Registered
583 Posts
adam1120,

All shots UTD , this is good. Has your dog been on Heartworm prevention? If yes , when was HW prevention started and what did you use?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes he is on heartworm prev... He's been on it for 4 months I wanna say.. and I'm not sure how to spell it correctly but its trifilxer I think? I get it from vet.. bad?:/ he's 100% healthy beside the bacteria infection on his chin I got meds for from the doc some anit bac drops.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Was your dog tested for Heartworms before starting the Trifexis?

If yes , and your dog tested neg for Heartworms , the Trifexis tablet will kill fleas, prevents heartworm disease and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections.

At 63 pounds you need to use the 60.1 to 120 pound size tablet. Are you OK with the cost of this product?

oldhounddog

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes he was tested for everything and anything.... Yes is that a safe product for my raw diet on him? That what I was trying to ask? I read when on raw y shouldn't give any chemicals on there... He just took it too on the 2nd of this month... Price is nothing for a perfect health of my dog:).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes he was tested for everything and anything.... Yes is that a safe product for my raw diet on him? That what I was trying to ask? I read when on raw y shouldn't give any chemicals on there... He just took it too on the 2nd of this month... Price is nothing for a perfect health of my dog:).
I would say product is safe at correct dose by weight if well tolerated by your dog. Make very sure dog swallows tablet and it stays down. I like an oral use product for HW prevention and parasite protection.

( I read when on raw y shouldn't give any chemicals on there ) I would need to see the entire article for a better understanding.
Perhaps someone that feeds raw cold offer more information.

>Price is nothing for a perfect health of my dog< Very correct , IMO..............

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll try and find the article I read it and it was saying very graphic things that honeslty would make me cry seeing him go throufh that and ima big dude who doesn't cry lol..which is why I'm feeding raw trying to have him in my life for the longest i can... So u feed kibble. What kind do u feed?

And thank u for your kind replies:))

Sorry for the messed up grammer I was at work all night...gotta make money bring home that chicken:) or turkey this week lol

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some people don't approve of using any chemicals on their dogs. YOU have to make this decision, understanding the risks of using them and the risks of not using them. This is the same whether he's raw-fed or not (except that people who feed their pets raw are likely to be more health-conscious). Do thorough research on vaccines, the use of flea medications, and the use of heartworm prevention, and make your own decisions based on what you learn. There are pros and cons to every way of doing things, and only you can decide which risks you're willing to take.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I honeslty don't want my dog on ANYTHING MAN MADE.. but Idk if I have to get certain things..yes I agree my research for stuff is nowhere where is should be... Hard to do research on a phone tho. Laptop is getting fixed...also it bad hes a outside dog://// my dads rule:( why I'm moving out soon.. but I spray with flea spray around my yard so fleas min at my house..

·
Registered
583 Posts
adam1120 ,
The advice given to you by Willowy is very accurate . The only info that I can offer that I know will benefit you and your dog is as follows.

There is no substitute for clean living , good food , fresh water , basic Vet healthcare and protection from harsh environmental conditions ......................And of course Love...

Continuing education will serve you well , the fact that you are here is proof you care... Stay with us here at DF as it will give you exposure to many knowledgeable and caring dog folks.

==========================================

>I honeslty don't want my dog on ANYTHING MAN MADE.. but Idk if I have to get certain things<

Basic healthcare meds will of course be man made , and , informed choices will give you and your dog many happy and healthy years together.....

Best , oldhounddog

1 - 13 of 13 Posts