Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog had a tick embedded in the top of his head on Mar. 21. I believe that I got the whole tick out. I called my Vet's office and asked if he needed to be seen and the nurse told me to give him a dose of Frontline, which I did. She said that's all I needed to do and I did not need to bring him in.

It's been a week and the wound remains as a bump, but it has gone down a bit, with an open spot in the middle. It does not seem to bother him and he is showing no signs of being sick or affected by it.

Should I have the Vet. check the wound anyway and will the bump go away in time, although it's already been a week?

Also, how long does it take for Lyme Disease symptoms to show up, if they do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Tick "bites take a while to heal. I have seen them go for as long as a month with a scab/lump. A little anti-biotic gel can be used to help prevent general infection.

What was the size and color of the tick? Chances are, if were a deer tick, you wouldn't have pulled it out as they are very tiny. You can and should have your vet do a test during the next annual exam to check for Lyme. If you're really concerned, I would wait a month or two and talk to your vet about having one done sooner.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It is always best to play it safe than run the risk of leaving the head of the tick in the dog. If you think you did not get the whole tick take your dog to the vet to relieve your stress. It does take a while for the lump to subside. If you decide not to take your dog to the vet, this is what I would do next. I would wait 6 weeks and have your vet run a 4dx on your dog. Here is some info on the test. http://www.potomacanimalhospital.com/SNAP.htm
I can not believe how many dogs show up for other tick-borne diseases other than just lyme disease.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It is always best to play it safe than run the risk of leaving the head of the tick in the dog. If you think you did not get the whole tick take your dog to the vet to relieve your stress. It does take a while for the lump to subside. If you decide not to take your dog to the vet, this is what I would do next. I would wait 6 weeks and have your vet run a 4dx on your dog. Here is some info on the test. http://www.potomacanimalhospital.com/SNAP.htm
I can not believe how many dogs show up for other tick-borne diseases other than just lyme disease.
Very good points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts