Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So a few years back my house got infested with ticks, when I didn't even own a dog, because my two neighbors had dogs and didn't even care to take care of their tick problem. I've been terrified of owning a dog since then. But with them suddenly becoming good dog owners, I was excited and got my own pup, JaSlyn.

NOW, they are at it again. No care in the world for their infestation, police won't do anything so not gonna do that again. I CANNOT afford another infestation, so I wan't to prevent it from happening.

My dog is 100% indoors and I found ONE tick on her (it was brown, not the ones that look like a pea, I'm certain it wasn't a flea). She doesn't weigh a pound (literally). Everything I find (frontline, advantix, etc) required a dog to be at least 4 pounds. I don't want to count on shampoos alone, I don't trust them to prevent an infestation since TWO neighbors are infested. I go to the vet on monday for her last round of vaccines and I'll definitely ask the vet, but for now what can I use on my less than a pound pup and house to keep ticks out? I haven't seen a tick in the house, JUST the dog and it was JUST one, but I don't plan on waiting for it to be a problem ;( My parents (it's their summer house) will force me to get rid of her if they even hear she had a tick x.x;

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a veterinarian and the below advice should not be used as a substitute for veterinary advice.

Take a 0-22 lb frontline plus, draw up into a 5cc syringe, and apply the correct fraction of cc's for her weight (to her back of course). I don't like doing conversions for people on public forums because it could encourage someone to do it for a dog that needed the vet, but there are conversion charts online! and obviously with frontline there's a decent margin of error (in terms of like tenths of CC's) since that entire amount can *technically* be used for a dog anywhere from 1 to 22 lbs. I do it now out of habit but when she was younger and tiny I just didn't see the point of applying way more than needed.

That's what I've always done with Grey! Just re-weigh every month to make sure you apply the right amount.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a 0-22 lb frontline plus, draw up into a 5cc syringe, and apply the correct fraction of cc's for her weight (to her back of course). I don't like doing conversions for people on public forums because it could encourage someone to do it for a dog that needed the vet, but there are conversion charts online! and obviously with frontline there's a decent margin of error (in terms of like tenths of CC's) since that entire amount can *technically* be used for a dog anywhere from 1 to 22 lbs. I do it now out of habit but when she was younger and tiny I just didn't see the point of applying way more than needed.

That's what I've always done with Grey! Just re-weigh every month to make sure you apply the right amount.
I didn't even KNOW Frontline had a 0-22 option! Every store I go to it's for dogs 4+ lbs! I'm definitely going hunting tomorrow xD Or online too, anything I can use (home remedy) while I find it?

I hear apple cider vinegar is good for a couple of days in a pinch, some people use it as a permanent solution but I don't trust it with two infestations near me :c

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I didn't even KNOW Frontline had a 0-22 option! Every store I go to it's for dogs 4+ lbs! I'm definitely going hunting tomorrow xD Or online too, anything I can use (home remedy) while I find it?

I hear apple cider vinegar is good for a couple of days in a pinch, some people use it as a permanent solution but I don't trust it with two infestations near me :c
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a veterinarian and the below advice should not be used as a substitute for veterinary advice.

Well all canine frontline (and maybe feline? Some cat topicals have different active ingredients) is the same strength active ingredient. They just package more liquid into a vial for the bigger dogs. When I've owned a decent total poundage of dogs we would do the same thing with the 83-122 lb frontline and just split the vial between multiple dogs.

That being said, the frontline SPRAY I *think* is labeled for use at any poundage regularly with dogs under 8 weeks. And for tick prevention on a shorthaired small dog you should be fine until you can get to the store, just do manual inspection every 24 hours. They aren't like fleas that will jump off and move fast. For FLEA removal that needs to happen rapidly I usually suggest capstar, but I don't think it does ticks and I don't think you can use it under a certain weight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well all canine frontline (and maybe feline? Some cat topicals have different active ingredients) is the same strength active ingredient. They just package more liquid into a vial for the bigger dogs. When I've owned a decent total poundage of dogs we would do the same thing with the 83-122 lb frontline and just split the vial between multiple dogs.

That being said, the frontline SPRAY I *think* is labeled for use at any poundage regularly with dogs under 8 weeks. And for tick prevention on a shorthaired small dog you should be fine until you can get to the store, just do manual inspection every 24 hours. They aren't like fleas that will jump off and move fast. For FLEA removal that needs to happen rapidly I usually suggest capstar, but I don't think it does ticks and I don't think you can use it under a certain weight.
I lost my first reply somehow O_O

Shorter version: I'll ask my vet about that but it makes perfect sense! And the spray! I didn't even think about it! Does it actually work though? Our ticks in this country are on steroids, I've seen them survive being dumped in clorox >.>;

Fleas *thank goodness* aren't a problem, despite the dozens of stray cats around, capstar is just for fleas too, great really.

I had plans on using Nexgard once she's large enough (edible, flea AND tick prevention) but its for dogs that are 5+ lbs.

Any suggestions on protecting the house? I have my own manual... pump? I suck at English sometimes xD It's what exterminators use to spray their house and such. Know anything I can use to mix in there and just use it monthly? Again, I'll ask mah vet, but would love suggestions to ask him about.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I lost my first reply somehow O_O

Shorter version: I'll ask my vet about that but it makes perfect sense! And the spray! I didn't even think about it! Does it actually work though? Our ticks in this country are on steroids, I've seen them survive being dumped in clorox >.>;

Fleas *thank goodness* aren't a problem, despite the dozens of stray cats around, capstar is just for fleas too, great really.

I had plans on using Nexgard once she's large enough (edible, flea AND tick prevention) but its for dogs that are 5+ lbs.

Any suggestions on protecting the house? I have my own manual... pump? I suck at English sometimes xD It's what exterminators use to spray their house and such. Know anything I can use to mix in there and just use it monthly? Again, I'll ask mah vet, but would love suggestions to ask him about.
AFAIK the frontline spray is the same active ingredient, I think just in a lower concentration. This is the one I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Merial-500ml-Frontline-Spray-500ML/dp/B003FA2DUM

(it looks like it only has fipronil and not s-methoprene, not sure if they make a spray with s-methoprene. Its an IGR so I think more used for the fleas than the ticks since the tick life cycle is longer?

Flea and tick prevention can be a very region specific thing, as in some work better in areas than others. I know diatomaceous earth can be used outside for arthropod prevention but beyond that I wouldn't have any idea what chemicals would be safe for dogs and work in your area. I would call a pest control company and ask.

In the summer I usually just spray down my pants legs with a natural citrus based repellant before going outside and then just inspect dogs daily and manual removal for ticks. Should be pretty easy on a light colored shorthaired dog! Grey used to get them after hikes where they would just crawl all over her thick fur trying to get down to the actual dog.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't use anything on the dog. She's small and shorthaired, so manual removal will work for any tick that gets on her (I like to boil water and put the ticks in that. I don't think even ticks can survive boiling :p). I think ticks have to be atttached for over 24 hours to transmit the usual diseases, and with her being shorthaired, I'm sure you'll find and remove them before that.

If the premises have a tick infestation, I would use a pesticide spray. Something long-lasting but on the safer side for mammals. I'm not familiar with the different products available, but whatever brands you can get, I'm sure you can find info about them online.

Or you can get guinea hens. They really like to eat ticks :D.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I asked my vet and he literally had no idea what to say... Like. None. His best response was "uuuugh.... =" I was dumb founded.

I understand ya'll aren't vets, but at least you know more than my vet -.-; Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sevin dust is safe for pets and people. Distribute it in your yard around your house. This will keep the ticks from entering your yard. Neem oil is also recommended, although I have not tried it.

I have a friend with guinea hens and they apparently love ticks and eat as many as they can find. If you can't have guinea hens, you can also sprinkle bird seed in your yard and wild birds will be attracted to the seed and eat a lot of the ticks.

For your personal protection, nothing beats Permethrin sprayed on your clothes. It is not a repellent, it kills ticks dead. It is harmless to people and dogs, although dangerous to cats. But it lasts for months even through repeated washings, so you only have to treat clothes once a season. (Or maybe twice if you have a long summer)

Az

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sevin dust is safe for pets and people. Distribute it in your yard around your house. This will keep the ticks from entering your yard. Neem oil is also recommended, although I have not tried it.

I have a friend with guinea hens and they apparently love ticks and eat as many as they can find. If you can't have guinea hens, you can also sprinkle bird seed in your yard and wild birds will be attracted to the seed and eat a lot of the ticks.

For your personal protection, nothing beats Permethrin sprayed on your clothes. It is not a repellent, it kills ticks dead. It is harmless to people and dogs, although dangerous to cats. But it lasts for months even through repeated washings, so you only have to treat clothes once a season. (Or maybe twice if you have a long summer)

Az
Thanks! I'll try the dust, I can't own hens :( ill see about the spray ^_^ Even though I'm in a tropical island, its summer all year long lol Thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Where are these ticks coming from exactly? Are you saying that the neighbors dogs are so infested that your yard is covered with ticks? Are you sure that's the case?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where are these ticks coming from exactly? Are you saying that the neighbors dogs are so infested that your yard is covered with ticks? Are you sure that's the case?
Yup! I'm 100% sure that's the case. My house is 100% concrete floors all around. No grass. No dirt. (this includes the yard, its not grass/dirt its cement floor). And my neighbors are wall to wall with my fence. It's not a large land and then house. It's houses right next to each other. And both houses to my right and left are infested. One of the dogs ears can't even flop down all the way because of all the ticks it has in it :\ (calling cops no help, they don't move a muscle for animals in this country) I also had NO tick problems until my neighbors got dogs and started neglecting them after the cute puppy face. And I didn't even own a dog back then :-\ Then they got their poop together and cleaned up their dogs (ticks in my house disappeared after they both called exterminators) I got a dog trusting that they would keep it up since they wasted a good penny on it. But nope! You can see ticks crawling down their walls and fences :-\

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ugh, this all sounds so familiar! We dealt with this exact same problem last year. My neighbors have several dogs and there was a tick infestation. I went outside to the back patio one day and literally hundreds of ticks were on the wall that separates us from their yard. It was like something out of a horror movie. They even got inside, under the back door, and covered the kitchen and front room walls. First we tried tick sprays but that was only limited success and made me sick, so I started using bleach. I used gallons of bleach last summer, just poured it on all the concrete walls and floors straight, no water added. Let it dry and then washed the walls and floors with soap and water. It cut down on the infestation, but they didn't completely go away until the weather got cooler. Now, the weather is warming up and I'm starting to see some appearing again... *sigh*.

My advice is to stock up on bleach and some of the other pesticides suggested here (just don't mix them, try one at a time to see what is most effective)...and since your little dog doesn't go outside, it won't harm her.

Also my sister had a tiny rabbit and the vet did what Rescued suggested, weighed him then used a syringe to get the proper amount of preventative for his weight. If your vet didn't have any advice for you in this area, or had nothing negative to say about it, that is what I would do for your little dog. My vet just gave me a flea/tick collar for my dog yesterday. I've never used one before, so I don't know how effective they are, but they said it's because ticks are already very bad and the extra protection will help. I don't know how safe it would be for a tiny dog though. Otherwise the safest is to remove ticks as you see them. :/

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ugh, this all sounds so familiar! We dealt with this exact same problem last year. My neighbors have several dogs and there was a tick infestation. I went outside to the back patio one day and literally hundreds of ticks were on the wall that separates us from their yard. It was like something out of a horror movie. They even got inside, under the back door, and covered the kitchen and front room walls. First we tried tick sprays but that was only limited success and made me sick, so I started using bleach. I used gallons of bleach last summer, just poured it on all the concrete walls and floors straight, no water added. Let it dry and then washed the walls and floors with soap and water. It cut down on the infestation, but they didn't completely go away until the weather got cooler. Now, the weather is warming up and I'm starting to see some appearing again... *sigh*.

My advice is to stock up on bleach and some of the other pesticides suggested here (just don't mix them, try one at a time to see what is most effective)...and since your little dog doesn't go outside, it won't harm her.

Also my sister had a tiny rabbit and the vet did what Rescued suggested, weighed him then used a syringe to get the proper amount of preventative for his weight. If your vet didn't have any advice for you in this area, or had nothing negative to say about it, that is what I would do for your little dog. My vet just gave me a flea/tick collar for my dog yesterday. I've never used one before, so I don't know how effective they are, but they said it's because ticks are already very bad and the extra protection will help. I don't know how safe it would be for a tiny dog though. Otherwise the safest is to remove ticks as you see them. :/
Wow! Sounds pretty much like my situation last time ;( They were even in my daughters room! Except these I guess are super heroes cuz I cleaned the whole house with Clorox and literally not a dent. Until the neighbors actually called an exterminator I had no peace :(

I'm gonna try the frontline plus idea. My vet didn't have anything negative to say. Well, he had NOTHING to say about it. Pretty much my same response "there's a 0-22 lb frontline? Well if you think it'll work try it". I felt like I wasn't talking to a vet x.x; Im looking for it online and once my bf gets paid, getting it. (I don't have any way to buy stuff online, and not sold locally). Im gonna go to a pet shop here (its really more of a cheap get stuff that only vets are allowed to sell you, shop) and ask what I can use on my yard. Those shops seem to know about the tick problem more than my vet xD might even have the dust someone mentioned!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wow! Sounds pretty much like my situation last time ;( They were even in my daughters room! Except these I guess are super heroes cuz I cleaned the whole house with Clorox and literally not a dent. Until the neighbors actually called an exterminator I had no peace :(
Yeah, unless you get the source, it's going to continue, that's why I had to deal with it the whole summer, couldn't get to the source. :mad: Unfortunately I never found a permanent solution, the cold weather is what stopped it. Hopefully I'll be better prepared this year, I'm going to see if I can find that Sevin Dust or something similar, maybe it'll work better than bleach. :)

@azb, do you think Permethrin would work if sprayed on top of a concrete wall? I don't know if it's sold here, but I'm going to look into it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just make sure you get real and not counterfeit frontline! Can google for tips. Just FYI since you're not in us.
Oh good point! I already found some charts for the weight and stuff.. But seeing as she is so small and I only have one dog, even in the smallest tube there'll be a lot left over and I couldn't find anything on storing it. But I'm still looking!

I'm definitely gonna take care who I buy from for sure

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well, you could try talking to a pest control company to see if there's anything you can do to deal with it. If the dogs have untreated ticks, you could make that argument to animal control. You could also try feeding them treats once a month that includes the tick medication.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, you could try talking to a pest control company to see if there's anything you can do to deal with it. If the dogs have untreated ticks, you could make that argument to animal control. You could also try feeding them treats once a month that includes the tick medication.
Honestly I don't think it's gotten to the point where I need to contact a pest control company, it probably WILL lead to that though, if my experience a few years back is anything to go by. But for now I just found ONE tick on my dog. I just assume its a repeat from last time, since their homes are so infested and want to start getting preventive measure.

There's no animal control here :c There's laws that protect them against this kind of abuse, but you report them and cops just say they don't have the man power for that.

And it doesn't matter how much trouble or desperation I have, I refuse to spend money on five dogs that aren't mine just because their owners are neglectful. I MUCH rather spend hundreds every couple of month with pest control on MY house than save money by helping them. The neighbors have good jobs, good salaries, they simply choose not to care for them. And the five will probably get multiplied anyways. One neighbor has one dog, the other has four, which are always running around the neighbor getting pregnant and giving birth and they stay with them, rinse and repeat.

If you're talking about MY dog, I can't feed her anything because she weighs 1 pound. Even my veterinarian suggested that I just "cut the chewy meat with the medicine in half" but I don't trust that, it's not like a tablet, the chewy meat thingies (lol) you can never know if it's properly distributed, that half I give her might have all the medicine in it :c

I'm planning on just splitting Frontline and dosing her properly :3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts