Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three-pound Pom boy, Little, has me terribly worried. I found a tick on his head and tried to pull it out. Well, it sort of got cut in half and now part of the tick is stuck just an inch above his eye with the area around it quite swollen. I've applied hot compresses to stop the swelling, but what else should I do? I'll be calling the vet's tomorrow as well (they're closed now and this hardly qualifies as an emergency), but should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Can you see the part that's still in there? Can you get it with tweezers? It's probably not a problem, but I would get it out if I could. Either way, I would take a cotton ball and dab a little alcohol on the area. Don't get it in the dog's eye! If I'm remembering right, a warm compress isn't good. So I would stop that. I don't think it's an emergency, though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
grab what you can of the tick and twist counter clockwise about 5 times then pull. you'll get the head out. they screw into the flesh clockwise, so you can unscrew them out.
i would only make a point to visit the vet if your dog starts vomiting, lethargic, runs a fever, or swells more than double in the next 12 hours.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Maybe you can put vaseline or mineral oil on it? I heard of someone doing this to suffocate the tick so he will fall out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The swelling has gone down and he hasn't been behaving abnormally, so I'm guessing it's okay. The piece (I think it's the head) is stuck too far down to get out... it looks painful, but he doesn't seem to even notice it there.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts